Heart rate

298 watchers
Jul 2021
2:51pm, 23 Jul 2021
7,203 posts
  •  
paul the builder
CW - maybe. In which case the feedback becomes "please configure the page to make clear if the number is the lower or upper limit of the range". Or some fancy graphic design way of showing without words.
Jul 2021
3:21pm, 23 Jul 2021
22,952 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Easy-peasy
Trying a bit
Decent effort
This is hard
Make it stop!
Jul 2021
3:30pm, 23 Jul 2021
15,180 posts
  •  
larkim
What's the impact of changing the sliders though? Just had a look at a training log entry and I couldn't (instantly!) see what had changed on the graphs etc?
J2R
Jul 2021
3:41pm, 23 Jul 2021
3,735 posts
  •  
J2R
Dvorak, you've missed one at the top end, 'Death, take me now!'
Jul 2021
7:45pm, 25 Jul 2021
15,187 posts
  •  
larkim
First run out in my 645 today, all worked fine as expected. I didn't bother with my OH1+ today to give the wrist HRM a workout, and whilst it recorded a nice and understandable trace in terms of trends and responsiveness it was 5-10 beats higher than I would have expected from the polar device.

I've downloaded a data field to the watch that should allow me to see both heart rates, but will I be able to see both traces graphed anywhere?
Jul 2021
9:25am, 26 Jul 2021
26,322 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Min, max, Z2 (formerly 'easy') and Z4 (formerly 'threshold') are wired up, and I'm hoping to sort the rest out today. Plus:

I will make it a bit easier to use on mobiles (I've tried, and it's a bit tricky);

I will make the intended usage a bit more obvious for those that need it.
I have an idea for a new graph :-)
Jul 2021
12:03pm, 26 Jul 2021
4,577 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
larks - I thought that when Garmins detected and paired with an external HRM that this caused the optical lights to go out on the back of the watch.

Obviously not if you think you can get both readings at the same time - what's that data field that allows this ?
Jul 2021
12:25pm, 26 Jul 2021
20,498 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thats how my 735 works. Optical stopped when I paired an HRM and if I dont wear the HRM Optical only kicks in if I turn it back on
SPR
Jul 2021
12:37pm, 26 Jul 2021
34,917 posts
  •  
SPR
There's a data field that I used. Discussed on the Garmin thread and I added screenshot at the time. Auxiliary HR IIRC.
Jul 2021
12:41pm, 26 Jul 2021
26,324 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've done some work on the usability of the threshold page this morning:

fetcheveryone.com/user-settings-heartrate.php

1) For those of you that struggle with sliders on mobile, there are + and - buttons next to each zone.
2) The sliders are scaled using your own min and max, rather than 0 to 255. NB If your RHR decreases, use the '-' button, because the slider will already be all the way to the left.
3) The help text in each zone (hopefully) explains what that zone covers.
4) The help text also calculates your %WHR and %MHR on the fly, to help you set stuff.

The extra zones are still not used anywhere, but that's my next job :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach