Heart rate

298 watchers
Sep 2020
11:24am, 21 Sep 2020
2,269 posts
  •  
TBR (TheBeardRunner)
My watch hrm is becoming more and more erratic. Supposedly had me as 206 bpm last week (previous highest was 196). My chest strap is much more reliable (garmin dual).
Oct 2020
12:24pm, 5 Oct 2020
20,916 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Through my new Forerunner 35 with wrist-based HRM I've noticed something which I wouldn't have had access to before. My resting hr has been 58-62 but on several occasions after exercise hr has continued downwards, reading 49-51. It's far from every occasion (five times so far) and I haven't looked into it in detail, but I'm wondering if others have experienced the same, and what might be behind it?

(Assuming readings are accurate: as far as I can tell they have been so far. I'm not wearing the watch all the time, but a good bit of the time.)
Oct 2020
1:54pm, 5 Oct 2020
6,782 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Dv - your post reminded me of Helegant's last blog where she reported a sharp drop in HR after exercise which coincided with her moving to somewhere cold/colder. Any similarities?
Oct 2020
1:58pm, 5 Oct 2020
20,918 posts
  •  
Dvorak
That prompted me, though I'd been meaning to post for two or three days.

Nope. I have been very much avoiding the cold and wet and generally afaik sitting around somewhere warm, usually inside the house. Seems just to be a progression of normal recovery.
Oct 2020
11:04pm, 5 Oct 2020
35,105 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
My heart rate normally 133-138 on easy runs tonight 156 ???
Oct 2020
11:31pm, 5 Oct 2020
20,921 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Any others symptoms, HOD?
Oct 2020
11:30am, 6 Oct 2020
24 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
HOD sounds like you maybe be coming down with something or a blip.?
Oct 2020
11:39am, 6 Oct 2020
71,602 posts
  •  
Gobi
Low profile on here these days but just scanned back

Hr for bike V running, most people are around 10 beats off due to the fact you are sitting down.

However if your key sport is cycling this may change, as SPR pointed out my max HR is higher on the bike than it is running these days due to focus of my training.

Running I rarely see above 174 but on the bike I have seen 181 this year.

The only way to truly train in the correct zones is to test yourself as a cyclist and a runner ergo allowing you to have 2 sets of zones.

It may only be 4 or 5 beats of difference but it can be the difference between being aerobic and anerobic and that surely is worth knowing.

Good luck.

ps. HoD either a device malfunction or you are ill
J2R
Oct 2020
1:43pm, 6 Oct 2020
3,054 posts
  •  
J2R
HoD, I'm thinking Welshpoppy and Gobi may be right here. I remember a year or so ago going for an easy paced cycle ride where I felt fine but my heart rate was puzzlingly high. When I got back I measured my HRV and it wasn't good. Then that evening I started getting virally symptoms and I ended up with some kind of upper respiratory tract infection for a few days. It was strange what my heart was telling me before I detected any symptoms.

I hope it is just equipment malfunction in your case, though :).
Oct 2020
1:49pm, 6 Oct 2020
25 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
JR2: That is how I always know something is happening in my body.If we listen it really does tell us when things are not right.Mine sky rocketed on an easy run ,tested it with my RHR and sure enough chest infection for 8 days.Slowly my RHR is dropping so I know it is coming good again.

Do hope you are okay.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach