Heart rate

298 watchers
Sep 2020
2:14pm, 17 Sep 2020
11,971 posts
  •  
larkim
No that's true Baz. It is a way off the "rule of thumb" though and means his HR zones are quite similar to mine, which does feel odd!!

I've been a good dad and sent him an amazon package with an OH1+ in it. Given how important running is to him, I sincerely hope that that sort of data was just a pure glitch rather than anything wrong with his ticker!!
Sep 2020
3:54pm, 17 Sep 2020
17,538 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
My optical does that every so often and records near to max hr when I know it shouldn’t be. It’s not often. Once every four months maybe.
Sep 2020
4:15pm, 17 Sep 2020
2,590 posts
  •  
B Rubble
If he regularly gets similar anomalies with the new HR kit you've sent him Larks I would advise him to get it checked out.
Sep 2020
4:15pm, 17 Sep 2020
11,973 posts
  •  
larkim
Most definitely BR!
Sep 2020
4:16pm, 17 Sep 2020
11,974 posts
  •  
larkim
A former colleague's brother died from a sudden unanticipated heart "attack" as a fit and healthy young man playing Sunday league football. I'm quite alert to the fact that healthy doesn't always mean there aren't preventable things under the surface going unnoticed.
Sep 2020
4:21pm, 17 Sep 2020
2,591 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I didn't really have any symptoms Larks, apart from my fitness suggesting I should be able to run up hills faster.
Sep 2020
4:48pm, 17 Sep 2020
11,975 posts
  •  
larkim
He lacks no speed in that respect so I am sleeping easy at night! But whilst he's away out of sight at Uni it makes those worries seem a little more acute!
Sep 2020
5:29pm, 17 Sep 2020
2,592 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I'm sure he's fine, the fact that he is so fit means that overall he's at a very low risk of any problems.
Sep 2020
9:57pm, 19 Sep 2020
35,095 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Does anyone just do watch based HR ?
Sep 2020
11:41pm, 19 Sep 2020
20,763 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Me, since yesterday. Garmin Forerunner 35. Here is my graph from fakeparkrun today. Three laps of around 1500m, and a start/finish section. Each lap starts with a climb, the third lap was faster, and I sped up at the end.

Although i don't have a cross-check, that looks pretty much as it should, I reckon. Was keeping an eye on it as i ran round and the figures were largely what I'd expect for the pace. A little high, but that's my lack of fitness, not the watch.

Used watch three times so far: walk with jogs, that fpr, and a bike ride. Reckon it's giving good readings: exceeding the expectations I'd formed based on other people's reports on wrist hr measurement.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach