Heart rate

1 lurker | 298 watchers
May 2020
11:32am, 6 May 2020
10,979 posts
  •  
larkim
Depending on your watch, there are HRV apps that can run directly there with a Garmin cheststrap - I had one working with the Garmin red HRM and my vivoactive watch. No need to go for an app on the phone then. Think it was this one apps.garmin.com

Mildly faff-y to set up, but seemed to work. My problem was being bothered to monitor and track the info it was giving me; I played around with it for a week or so but lost interest.
May 2020
11:34am, 6 May 2020
36,214 posts
  •  
Nellers
I don't have a smart watch larkim. I'm hardly a runner at all these days and I'm using a Garmin 220 when I do (and also when I cycle or do circuits or whatever to be honest).
May 2020
12:18pm, 6 May 2020
6,361 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Ant+ compatible Androids are in short supply. My old Sony Experia was and I used it extensively, but the latest Experias don't have Ant+ natively. You can buy a USB-C adapator and use an ANT+ dongle, it's just a bit messy.
May 2020
1:19pm, 6 May 2020
3,646 posts
  •  
StuH
I think a lot of Androids are not advertised or listed as ANT+ compatible but are.
J2R
May 2020
1:42pm, 6 May 2020
2,739 posts
  •  
J2R
My LG phones (G4, G5) certainly have not been. But it hasn't mattered to me because the strap I use works with Bluetooth and ANT+, so the Garmin was connected via ANT+ and the phone via Bluetooth.
May 2020
1:51pm, 6 May 2020
7,616 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
The newer watches from Garmin like the 245/ 645/ 945 use HRV as part of the performance measurements. www8.garmin.com
May 2020
2:03pm, 6 May 2020
10,980 posts
  •  
larkim
Built in Ant+ is still pretty rare apart from on Samsung Android phones if this official list is anything to go by thisisant.com Dongles using the USB OTG service mean there are more Android devices that can use it, but I think we can safely say that we're not going to see it be a default service on most Android phones.
May 2020
4:43pm, 6 May 2020
3,647 posts
  •  
StuH
That list is not accurate, at least my last 4 phones have had an ANT+ chipset, none feature on that list.
May 2020
4:46pm, 6 May 2020
10,983 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting, Stu - you'd think they'd know!! What phones were those, out of interest?
May 2020
4:58pm, 6 May 2020
3,648 posts
  •  
StuH
HTC; M9, M8S, HTC One, the one before that I can't remember the name of...

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach