Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Heart rate

287 watchers
5 Feb
11:53am, 5 Feb 2021
13427 posts
larkim
My wife's singular inability to run at pace uphill could do with being helped out with that book :-)

On a more generalised note, I find it very interesting how different activities spark different HRs for me.

I ran a 20m at avg 136 at the weekend and arrived home feeling (relatively) fresh. An hour on Zwift last night however averaging 125 and I felt knackered. Clearly down to muscular strength / adaption too as I'm not a regular cyclist.

(And then my wife encouraged me (and my kids and her) to a challenge of running up and down the 24 stairs in our house for 15 minutes and I maxed out at 175bpm, which is only a few beats off my max. I suppose the steps maxxing out HR isn't hugely surprising, but I didn't feel like I was at max compared to when I tried a maxHR test running about 8-10 months ago where I was at vomit stage by then).
10 Feb
11:38am, 10 Feb 2021
4361 posts
K5 Gus
New Polar optical strap out, ie an upgrade to the popular OH1

DCR review dcrainmaker.com

He likes it !.
One thing I didn't realise is that there is normally more of a lag with optical units than with chest straps when doing intervals on the bike, compared to run intervals :-
"most optical HR sensors look at running cadence via the accelerometer as a supporting factor for figuring out intensity shifts. So in this case, it sees my cadence naturally increase as I increase intensity, allowing the algorithm to consider that a valid increase faster than on the bike, where it doesn’t have extra data"
10 Feb
6:31pm, 10 Feb 2021
1419 posts
Daz Love
Thanks for the link Gus.

I have been toying with the OH1 based on reviews as well as Larks being happy :)

Still haven't took the plunge but this will very likely be my next running purchase.
21 Feb
4:44pm, 21 Feb 2021
1420 posts
Daz Love
See the original OH1 is about for £50 now. Will probably take the plunge on the new one but the reduced price on the original is making me think!!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Elderberry
Everything you need to know about training with a heart rate monitor. Remember the motto "I can maintain a fast pace over the race distance because I am an Endurance God". Mind the trap door....

Gobi lurks here, but for his advice you must first speak his name. Ask and you shall receive.

A quote:

"The area between the top of the aerobic threshold and anaerobic threshold is somewhat of a no mans land of fitness. It is a mix of aerobic and anaerobic states. For the amount of effort the athlete puts forth, not a whole lot of fitness is produced. It does not train the aerobic or anaerobic energy system to a high degree. This area does have its place in training; it is just not in base season. Unfortunately this area is where I find a lot of athletes spending the majority of their seasons, which retards aerobic development. The athletes heart rate shoots up to this zone with little power or speed being produced when it gets there." Matt Russ, US International Coach