1 watcher
Jun 2021
4:32pm, 28 Jun 2021
26,087 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I'm doing a iron distance tri next month
I don't swim with my aids as they aren't waterproof
I don't bike with them as I then just hear the wind (even being slow)

I don't normally put them on for the run but this time I am considering it.
I'll be using every minute of the 17 hours

I'll be tried and thought maybe hearing the announcer from a distance and other runners as they pass may help.
I didn't wear them at my half the week before last and a couple of times people spoke to me and I had no idea what they said.
My concern is ... I'll be sweaty! Will this dampness be an issue? I will be wearing a baseball hat so shouldn't be dripping!
So for those of you why wear aids ... what do you think?
pros cons?
I think the lovely NHS lady told me it was in excess of £300 each to replace!
Jun 2021
2:23pm, 29 Jun 2021
5,034 posts
  •  
12barDavid
EvilPixie, I don’t wear my hearing aids when I’m running. Only in exceptional circumstances, which is once in a blue moon. I find that after about 15 minutes, sweat & moisture get in & around the ear moulds. This leads to the moulds irritating my ears & I find that very uncomfortable. They are also very hard to dry out if you get caught in a shower or downpour.

If I’ve entered a race, I always send an email to the organisers letting them know that I am deaf 🧏‍♂️ & that I don’t wear my hearing aids when I run. I always say that I will approach whoever is in charge on the day & ask for a separate briefing so I can lip-read them. That way I can find out if there has been a course change etc. On a few occasions, the organisers on the day, have actually told the assembled runners before the start that there is a deaf runner taking part & to take care around me. (Or words to that effect).

I usually run in one of my “Deaf Runner” running tops, so that other runners will hopefully spot my disability & realise that trying to talk to me is a waste of time. It also helps if there are pinch points on the course & other runners are trying to overtake me. They should realise by looking at my top that shouting at me to get out of the way is just a waste of their breath.

I’m more than happy to post you one of my tops to borrow for the run if you wish. The only problem being I like clothes that hang off me, so my XL top will most probably look like a tent on you.
Jun 2021
2:28pm, 29 Jun 2021
26,120 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Thanks David you have pretty much confirmed my thoughts
I don't normally wear mine when running

I hadn't thought of making the organisers aware - maybe I should top tip

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
I'm doing a iron distance tri next month
I don't swim with my aids as they aren't wa...