Head Torches

21 watchers
Aug 2014
2:08pm, 21 Aug 2014
15,168 posts
  •  
flanker
yes. I used to have the Myo XP, and when that died started looking aorund to see if there was anything better. I was actually about to buy an the new Myo RXP when I saw the Tikka RXP. Glad I did as I think it is way, way better.

I even like the fact that you can program it. I thought this was a gimmick initially, but now really like it as you can tailor the outptut levels to the amount of darkness your
Aug 2014
2:10pm, 21 Aug 2014
15,169 posts
  •  
flanker
... I even like the fact that you can program it. I thought this was a gimmick initially, but now really like it as you can tailor the output levels, and hence battery life, to the amount of darkness you're expecting and the terrain you'll be facing.
Aug 2014
2:19pm, 21 Aug 2014
5,639 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I loved the Gamma until I tried a £5 Ebay Led Lenser clone one suggested on the FRA Forums which blows it away ebay.co.uk
Aug 2014
2:22pm, 21 Aug 2014
961 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I love my Alpkit, but the spread of light isn't ideal. I've been carrying my Hope bike light in my hand to help it out, and this is an excellent combination for seeing... but is heavy, and a bit awkward. This combination does give me redundancy, which I like, but if I had a Petzl, I'd probably have the Alpkit in my bag as a reserve.

I do like the way a light source held low down gives relief to uneven ground that a headlight doesn't seem to.

I might also be a bit unhappy with something I can't replace the batteries in.
Aug 2014
2:25pm, 21 Aug 2014
962 posts
  •  
jacdaw
My wife uses an LED Lenser, but the battery life is a bit rubbish, and the battery connectors are very flimsy and a bit fussy. It doesn't like the wet much, either, I suspect.

Good when it works though.
Aug 2014
2:34pm, 21 Aug 2014
3,382 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
You can't go wrong with a Petzl Myo, although I know the earlier models were a bit suspect. Hunt around on eBay and you can usually get one for under 40 quid, I think I got both of ours for around 35 and they've been excellent, particularly if you load 'em with lithium batteries - lighter and tremendous battery life. I've never tried the Tikka RXP, but now that Flanker's extolled its virtues I might have to look at that one day. I've also got an older 3-led Tikka and that's been fine as a backup, but the power output is low.

For brute force and searing the retinas out of passing sheep you can't beat a Hope R4, but they are undeniably a bit expensive. I've found the battery life on mine to be a bit suspect and you have to have it on the lowest setting if you don't want to faff around changing batteries. Also it's quite heavy if you attach the battery back to the headstrap, but you can connect with an extension lead and put the battery in your rucksack/jacket etc. It's also my bike light, so that quick release bayonet fitting is very useful. Saying all that, I would only use the Hope in certain situations. As an example, I have a long race next weekend and am taking the Myo.

I did have an early Alpkit Gamma and the fastener on the battery pack broke very early on in its life. I guess you get what you pay for.
Aug 2014
2:35pm, 21 Aug 2014
3,383 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
P.S. The earlier Nao headtorches were a bit poo, at least that's what my mate says and he's got one. As has been said, the newer ones have a much improved rating.
Aug 2014
2:54pm, 21 Aug 2014
30,572 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Our Myo (eL Bee!'s, really) is one of the earliest incarnations, when it was top of the range. We've also got some really old Tikka XPs.

I'll see how I get on with those when I try some running in the dark this winter.
Aug 2014
4:03pm, 21 Aug 2014
6,206 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I have the original version of the LED Lenser (the proper version of that posted by DT above), and it's superior to the Petzl Tikka and Alpkit Gamma. Although battery life is approx only 2hrs on max burn.

I use mine for orienteering and need an even brighter one ideally. Friend has the Petzl Nao, but don't know how good it is.

Hope too heavy...

Might try some of the orienteering specific ones - with battery packs that go in a backpack.

For running though, most folk will get by with an Alpkit Gamma. You'll need something a bit brighter for fellrunning and something brighter still if you're planning on going off-path in woodland (the darkest of the dark!)
Aug 2014
4:05pm, 21 Aug 2014
6,207 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Oh, and I've used my LED Lenser in the very wet - no problems

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I just *know* that this has come up already a couple of times this year, but can I find the thread? ...