Head Torches

21 watchers
Jan 2014
9:04am, 11 Jan 2014
3,785 posts
  •  
Vancouver Jogger
Alpkit gamma arrived yesterday so had to get up early this morning in order to give it a 7+ mile test. Great. No problems on or off road. Putting the battery cover back on after inserting the batteries was a bit fiddly though.

Went online to see how you get the red, green and white LEDs to work - no instructions. Does anyone know what you'd use the little LEDs for?
Jan 2014
12:09pm, 11 Jan 2014
5,999 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
To get the red, (small) white and green LEDS to come on, press and hold the power button to switch from the main light to the others - once you get to the small red one, you can cycle through the smaller LEDS with a short press of the power button.

In main mode, a short press of the power button cycles through the main light at full power and less power and then flashing.

The red/green LEDS are to preserve night vision. The smaller white one is to use, for example in a tent for reading or something similar, yet not use much battery (the smaller LEDs use much less power than the main light).
Jan 2014
12:12pm, 11 Jan 2014
6,000 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Actually a good job I saw this thread - I need to charge up my batteries for my LED Lenser H7 so I can use it this evening - got a YHOA night league race and after our score event on Wed in the rain, I don't think the batteries will do an hour....
Jan 2014
2:02pm, 12 Jan 2014
218 posts
  •  
southcoastclaret
Red is for preserving night vision. Green is for when looking at maps in the dark - the contour lines disappear in red light by really stand out in green.

I may well get one of these - I have an LED Lenser which I am generally happy with, and it is a bit brighter, however, even when dimmed is way too bright to use to read in a tent. Been really impressed with my daughter's Gamma.
Jan 2014
10:08am, 13 Jan 2014
1,195 posts
  •  
Ade1973
I was so impressed with the Gamma, I've got a second for the bike commute. I've taken off the straps and ziptied it to my helmet- works a treat.
Aug 2014
11:14am, 21 Aug 2014
960 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Is it time yet?

Has anybody tried the Petzl NAO? Is it worth the money? Does the "reactive" lighting work? What's the battery life like?
Aug 2014
11:55am, 21 Aug 2014
15,165 posts
  •  
flanker
I've tried the Nao and then bought the Tikka RXP. Same reactive technology but smaller, lighter and a lot cheaper. After trying about 8 different torches over the last 2 years I've now stopped looking. I love it.

I created a custom set of programs on it (it is programmable) with the low setting lower than the default one so that it gives me about 11 hours use one one charge. I managed both overnights at lakeland 100 and on HM110 with it on the low setting (still 160-odd lumens).

They have just upgraded the Nao to make it brighter and to improve battery life (I'm guessing they've changed to the same LED as in the RXP), but I'm so happy with the RXP 'm not even tempted to try it.

(all that said, I know a lot of people who use the Nao and they're all very happy with it)
Aug 2014
12:30pm, 21 Aug 2014
12,148 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Hope or Alpkit would be my choice bolt
Aug 2014
2:04pm, 21 Aug 2014
15,166 posts
  •  
flanker
tried both of those. Still have my alpkit for a general purpose one but really don't like the narrow cone of light for running. I like a spread of light so I can see what's at my feet as well as what's way ahead.

Hope are to big and heavy and limited on battery life. Great on a bike, but overkill for running IMO.
Aug 2014
2:06pm, 21 Aug 2014
30,570 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Our best head torch is a Petzl Myo. Are the Nao and the Tikka RXP better than that?

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I just *know* that this has come up already a couple of times this year, but can I find the thread? ...