Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Head Torch Recommendations

9 watchers
Nov 2018
2:26pm, 28 Nov 2018
20329 posts
Maclennane
Had a Petzl, hated it, it cast a weird shadow all round the edge of the lens which made me feel I was running in Eric Morecomb glasses
Nov 2018
4:32pm, 28 Nov 2018
2732 posts
StuH
Presumably you put the cap on backwards Sam? Otherwise the peak would stop the light hitting the floor.
Nov 2018
4:35pm, 28 Nov 2018
107 posts
Sam Jelfs
Stu - No, I wear normal way around. I find that the peak casts a bit of a shadow, but only covering the couple of foot directly in front of me when I am looking straight forward. I'll try and take some pictures next time I head out... Never found it an issue yet.
Nov 2018
5:00pm, 28 Nov 2018
6105 posts
larkim
I don't like them too bright as then I find the contrast between the shadow and the light to be too dramatic. The key is the beam width / distribution which you don't want to be too narrow (IMHO).

I got a Silva one a few years ago from Decathlon which was on the cheap as it was damaged packaging, I find the battery pack at the back balances out the light at the front. The quality of the strap makes it better than the cheap petzl ones for me, no slippage or bouncing around.
Nov 2018
7:16pm, 28 Nov 2018
2951 posts
Fizz :-)
I find headtorches make me feel a bit “travel sick” when I wear them - are chest torches better in that respect?
Nov 2018
7:34pm, 28 Nov 2018
2733 posts
StuH
I found the beam from a chest torch bounced all over the place, but that's probably my poor running form. Difficult to change the direction too.
6 Oct
10:52pm, 6 Oct 2020
1625 posts
Heinzster
I like my kalenji chest light from decathlon, but find some light leaking up from it to be distracting. A bit of insulating tape works wonders though
10 Oct
11:28am, 10 Oct 2020
318 posts
Cheekys Dad
I've never tried a chest light & not sure I'd fancy it. We are very rural with narrow lanes and zero streetlights so I really need light to go where I look. I am on my second alpkit and love it. Nice & bright, comfy and has red light on back of head.
7 Nov
4:55pm, 7 Nov 2020
69570 posts
swittle
Some advice, please. Can I use a 3-pin mains plug with a USB socket, [supplied with a digital camera} to charge a 'Decathlon' head torch?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bru-Bru
I don’t run in the dark v often but plan to this evening. My old Fenix headtorch, which was always...