no - just told them it wasn't an issue and they could do it

and they did
Apr 2011
1:34pm, 27 Apr 2011
12,485 posts
  •  
Stumpy
LOL @ HB
I am the daughter of a pharmacist who believed in keeping NHS costs down. he told the docs from when i was about 7 that I could take antibiotics as capsules and would be fine to swallow them. (which with chronic sinus problems was quite a big promise).

the yoghurt suggestion sounds good.
Apr 2011
1:37pm, 27 Apr 2011
2,449 posts
  •  
icemaiden
SmallFry won't eat peas and I suspect he just shoves sweetcorn round the plate so I am not convinced he'll be all that good with the pills unless they are crushed up somehow? Will they make him sleepy?

What are the active ingredients of non-doping syrups I should be looking for please?
Apr 2011
1:39pm, 27 Apr 2011
7,372 posts
  •  
HellsBells
cetirizine and loratadine are the best non-dopey ones
both 10mg daily

both are available on prescription or from the pharmacy

at least he doesn't shove sweetcorn up his nose as one of mine was prone to!
Apr 2011
1:43pm, 27 Apr 2011
5,471 posts
  •  
James1982a
I started on Loratadine & Beconase when I was 10
Apr 2011
1:47pm, 27 Apr 2011
2,299 posts
  •  
Iron_Mum
Ah, poor SmallFry, I sympathise. Child 1 (age 7) has just started on tablets for something else entirely and I was amazed how easily she got the hang of them: puts one on the back of her tongue and takes a gulp of water. Maybe just try him with the tablet first before you explore alternatives?
Apr 2011
1:49pm, 27 Apr 2011
2,451 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I'd rather go for the non-doping drugs as well, so I think I'll get some syrup and see if that's OK for him. I lost a lot of my teenage summers through being crashed on the sofa after taking hayfever treatment and I'd rather he didn't have to go through that.
Apr 2011
1:50pm, 27 Apr 2011
2,014 posts
  •  
JamieKai *chameleon*
While we're thinking of good treatment for the kids, anyone got good recommendations for adult hayfever? Somehow escaped it last year, and it's beginning to make up for it by starting 3 months early this year :(

Just realised I described myself as an adult. This saddens me :(
Apr 2011
1:53pm, 27 Apr 2011
7,248 posts
  •  
Pootle
Beconase has really helped me, Jamie. You have to remember to take 2 snorts every morning and evening though, it doesn't seem to be as effective if you miss a dose. Takes about 4 or 5 days to start noticing a difference.

I also use opticrom eye drops which seem to be pretty good.
Apr 2011
1:56pm, 27 Apr 2011
7,373 posts
  •  
HellsBells
patient.co.uk

antihistamines - cetirizine or loratadine, both 10mg daily (dose is same for adult and child over 6)
steroid nasal spray - beconase commonly and available OTC, but nasonex may be more effective. GP will only prescribe nasonex if beconase has been tried and not worke
eye drops - sodium cromoglicate most commonly - sting like buggery when applied, but instantaneous relief, antihistamine eye drops slightly more likely to cause irritation
severe cases causing excessive symptoms - short course of oral steroids

About This Thread

Maintained by icemaiden
Just looking for options for SmallFry who is 8 and a half and who seems increasingly to have hayfeve...