hayfever tabs

3 watchers
May 2011
4:56pm, 9 May 2011
2,880 posts
  •  
Shin-Twigs
Can hayfever tablets totally wipe you out?
I took one this morning, went out and did my training (7 mile cycle 2 mile run) popped to tescos made a lemon mousse (YUM) and then had lunch.
have subsequently been asleep for 3 hours this afternoon!.

whats that all about! had 8 hrs last night straight through
could it be the Benadryl?
May 2011
5:00pm, 9 May 2011
7,566 posts
  •  
HellsBells
acrivastine is supposed to be non-sedating, but everyone reacts differently and it can occasionally make people drowsy
May 2011
9:38pm, 9 May 2011
4 posts
  •  
naqi
Piriton does that to me. I find taking the tablets when I go to bed the best remedy for any drowsiness as it normally wears off after a few hours.
May 2011
9:45pm, 9 May 2011
12,557 posts
  •  
Stumpy
i used to use piriton as a sleeping tablet. it was really effective.
May 2011
9:45pm, 9 May 2011
274 posts
  •  
RichHL
I don't take Piriton because it's had a sedative effect on me in the past.
May 2011
9:50pm, 9 May 2011
11,038 posts
  •  
Pammie
Did you get the tabs behind a pharmacy counter or off the shelves on shop floor. Tablets like piriton behind the counter medicines are more likely to make you drowsey they'll have a P on the back of packaging
May 2011
10:11pm, 9 May 2011
15,739 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Yes. Benadryl can be quite sedating and can give you a dry mouth.

People vary in how sensitive they are to the sedating effects of antihistamine. Some people can pop Piriton without any problem. Most people will be OK on cetirizine and loratadine. A few (of whom I am one) will find even these unpleasantly sedating. Fexofenadine (prescription-only) can be useful as it really is non-sedating.
May 2011
10:26pm, 9 May 2011
3,562 posts
  •  
Nightjar
Suspect Vrap has put the definitive response. I'd say try different ones and see what works. The older "traditional ones" used to knock me out. The newer ones don't. By the way, I find the one a day such as Loratadine need a bit of time to build up immunity to the pollen, so no good (for me) on an ad-hoc basis.
May 2011
10:34pm, 9 May 2011
199 posts
  •  
Stano
I'm not in any way medically qualified but I use bee pollen capsules .....apparently bees don't get hayfever (no surprise there) and whenever I use them I don't suffer....another alternative I have tried is serrapeptase (again a naturallly occurring product from silk worms)...you can read about both on the tinterweb...like I say, I'm not medically qualified *added to protect me from litigation* :-) but these things work for me...I don't feel in any way drowsy either....
May 2011
9:45am, 19 May 2011
2,556 posts
  •  
icemaiden
I think I've been poleaxed by otc loratadine this week. Started taking on Monday or Tuesday, was very meh on Tuesday pm, and yesterday had the yawns all day to the extent I had a nap between 5.30 and 6.30pm followed by an attack of the CBAs. I really haven't been burning the candle at both ends at all recently so have no other explanation this. Is the Cetirizine likely to be less sedating? Or should I just try for the fexofenadine?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shin-Twigs
Can hayfever tablets totally wipe you out?
I took one this morning, went out and did my training (7...