Harassment when running

21 watchers
Feb 2021
8:18pm, 3 Feb 2021
48,529 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
What gives anyone the right to think they can treat people like that.
Can't recall anything other than the light hearted banter about doing well or wishing it was them etc.
Feb 2021
9:04pm, 3 Feb 2021
20,522 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I've had the run-of-the-mill "witty" comments like 'show us yer tits' and 'fat arse', usually from teens/young men and usually from car windows.

I've had water thrown at me, and an egg (broke on my shoe, I was really annoyed).

Once a group of teenagers on the rec ground moved to block the path, so I headed around them on the grass, and they kept moving into my direct path where ever I tried to go. They didn't say anything, just kept laughing and blocking me for probably no more than a few seconds, but it felt like ages.

I've had a van kerb crawl behind me with the driver leering and his mate in the passenger side muttering "c'mon let's just go".
Feb 2021
9:06pm, 3 Feb 2021
48,532 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
:-O that is all fucking shocking
Feb 2021
9:35pm, 3 Feb 2021
4,679 posts
  •  
run free
Have been spat at, called all sorts of things, coke thrown on me (or something) from a car window. This only happened when by myself. Running with others has been much more peaceful from external people.

In events
New York 2007 - people in the crowd jeered at me "who do you think you are".... "yeah do the marathon properly"..."taking the place of a serious runner".....yadder yadder yadder until I yelled back at all of them that their recycling sucks and was being dumped into the ocean! They went quiet.

London 2009 - had yobos throwing bottles at me along the pub area near Cutty Sark + yelling obscenities

London 2011 - had a gang of youths harrassing me in Greenwich and then over in Lime Street another gang of youths kept jumping on me tyre until I picked up everything to continue on. There were howls of laughter from them.

Will never do London Marathon again as have not felt safe the 2 times.
Feb 2021
9:43pm, 3 Feb 2021
48,533 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
:-( :-O this saddens me a lot. Kudos to you all for keeping going as I know I just wouldn’t
Feb 2021
9:57pm, 3 Feb 2021
37,550 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Tyre girl - just keep on being you. We KNOW you're awesome! :-) G
Feb 2021
10:00pm, 3 Feb 2021
293 posts
  •  
Minimag
Run Free,
I am male, so my experiences might be different, but I did NY2007, and found the crowd very supportive. I was undertrained, had shinsplints, and faltered at 18 miles. The people I encountered were incredibly supportive. It wasnt what I had been expecting of Americans, my fondest memory was just before entering Central Park, where a couple with 2 young children sent them out to me to give me a banana and the kids said to me how impressed they where at what I was doing. I cant comment on London, but perhaps your experience may not be typical in organized events?
Feb 2021
10:01pm, 3 Feb 2021
2,243 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I haven’t had much harassment, certainly not in along time. Used to get kids in the town where I used to live shout run forest run. Had the odd wolf whistle from van drivers.

A teenage boy did decide to try and run beside me one time and laugh, I was heading down a hill so I sped up and he left me alone.

Come to think of it, I was sworn at in the last lockdown. I couldn’t give him a lot of space when I overtook him. It was on a main road with cars coming both ways. He knew I was coming but decided not to move over on the pavement.

That’s nothing compared to some, even worse if it’s during an event.
Feb 2021
10:17pm, 3 Feb 2021
4,680 posts
  •  
run free
Thank you :) G Have done 80+ marathons since that time and only one other confrontation with one guy and 2 ladies at the Ware Marathon but managed to change that around positively.

Minimag - I was pulling a car tyre and the crowd were amazingly.....unsupportive. I had heard soo many great things about the crowd and was so disappointed... Also there were probably too many "serious runners"..... had snipes "there's another taking the place of a serious runner..." .... "oh no not another like the rhino, the lighthouse man...". The positives from the event - was reported on by the New York times and the Columbian Spectator on the amount of waste the event generated. However too many dots of negative comments around the course has kept this event negative in my head. All other US marathons that have attended have been fantastic.
Feb 2021
10:26pm, 3 Feb 2021
3,826 posts
  •  
ndellar
Never had much aggro apart from the odd clever comment (usually from someone who couldn’t run for a bus) and like you say, tell them you’ve done 10 miles and another 8 to go and they tend to leave you alone.

The most trouble I’ve had was on club runs actually when I ran with a previous club. One woman had a whole dominos pizza thrown at her (don’t ask me how they managed it but it landed cheese and tomato side right on her back) and separately some youths who knew what time we went out and what direction put fishing line between the signposts on the pavement at neck height. Both reported to the police.

About This Thread

Maintained by faithfulred
I've just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/02/people-heckle-me-top-female-...