Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Hanson’s Marathon method

4 watchers
10 Apr
7:34pm, 10 Apr 2020
9 posts
Selkan
Hi- has anyone ever tried Hanson training method for marathon running. More runs per week but less LSR mileage at weekends.
13 Apr
8:45am, 13 Apr 2020
46050 posts
Velociraptor
I read the book last year and thought the principles were appealing, though the total amount of running was unrealistic for me at the time.
13 Apr
9:03am, 13 Apr 2020
3488 posts
K5 Gus
Not read the book nor tried the plan myself, but a quick search shows a couple of other threads on the subject which you may find useful :-)

fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=52455

fetcheveryone.com/forum/hanson-running-programme-sadly-nothing-to-do-with-mmm-bop-48013/1
13 Apr
8:09pm, 13 Apr 2020
10 posts
Selkan
Thanks for your comments- k5 Gus thanks for links. I’m going to give this plan a go this year for Edinburgh Marathon in September. I’ve used several plans in past so wanted to try something a bit different.
18 Nov
12:52pm, 18 Nov 2020
4044 posts
Kieren
Did you use it Selkan?

I bought the book and liked the similarity to the parts of Jack Daniel's that my previous 2 training blocks were.

I'm on day 3 of the advanced plan - a rest day. The rest of the days are all 10K at easy pace. Speed work & tempo days are introduced next week.
27 Nov
6:39pm, 27 Nov 2020
98 posts
MovingAlong
I've followed it for my last few marathons. Was just outside a pb (4.04 rather than 3.56) in 2019, and that was without religiously doing the 'race pace' run (due to family life disrupting plans) , and some stomach issues that cost me some time. I also didn't set out for a marathon pb, but legs just felt good and I went with it. It was also 3 weeks after Snowdonia marathon.

Fairly confident I would have pb'd this year, was following it much more closely, but with various race cancellations I peaked ahead of time, and then couldn't quite re-find my form for a re-scheduled date.

Works generally quite well for me - I can train every day, but can't easily find 3 hours for a long run, so peaking with 5 runs at 15-16 miles fits my personal life.

Have previously done p&d and if time wasn't a factor, I'd follow that. Planning to do ultras next year, but if/when I return to marathons, be hard for me to look past hmm.
27 Nov
9:46pm, 27 Nov 2020
4062 posts
Kieren
That's interesting MovingAlong - thanks for the feedback.

Would you adapt HMM for your ultra? From what I can see, some parts seem similar t o some ultra plans, like double long run days to build the fatigue without too much overload.

I'm just finished week 2, slightly adapted. 1st week, I was coming off a week break so ran 5 days easy / 10K and one 5K at 90%

I ran my 12 x 400 at 5K pace in a short, slightly faster session of 8x400 about 10s faster a lap because I had to squeeze it in on a lunch break. I'm also running a weekly 5K handicap with friends so using the tempo day for that & alternating the 10K tempo with a 5k race week to week.

I don't really want to do a marathon but I might change my mind in 18 weeks. I just enjoy the training for now and would like to try a half-marathon
28 Nov
3:30pm, 28 Nov 2020
99 posts
MovingAlong
I think it'd probably work quite well for ultras*, but I did an ultra on the back of it, and think I suffered for not doing enough 'longer' runs (plus, and ultimately, think I was a little lazy in following the plan!).

Its a good plan in my mind. Personally I struggle mentally with gearing myself up for the 'race pace' run, especially when 8 miles +, but feel great if/when I do it.

* I'm not an ultra expert - have 'survived' one, made every mistake you could imagine! Have re-entered it to make amends but might be scuppered by a combination of injury /covid.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Selkan
Hi- has anyone ever tried Hanson training method for marathon running. More runs per week but less L...

Close