Half or Full

2 watchers
Dec 2011
9:27pm, 26 Dec 2011
1,037 posts
  •  
Frosty the SnowMatt
Well 2012 is coming and I need a goal. I've been thinking about trentham half ironman for a while but why stop there.

What do you reckon. 6 months until trentham so I'm pretty sure I can get fit for it. I can be a bit idle so maybe a half is better or shall I go full for the proper challenge? Price may be a consideration too. Trentham is pretty cheap. A lot of the longer distance tri's are bloody dear.

I'll need a good plan too.

Ta
Dec 2011
10:15pm, 26 Dec 2011
45,610 posts
  •  
Gobi
Start with the half it just makes sense
Dec 2011
10:41pm, 26 Dec 2011
4,916 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I reckon that either would be insanely overambitious. Since you ask.
Dec 2011
11:05am, 30 Dec 2011
5,989 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Trentham was my first half. Race report is in my blog (July 2009). Was an, er, interesting start to half IM career as it f**king lashed down for most of the race!

I'd definitely start with half - IMO as full IM is expensive etc you will want to give it justice on the day and will need 2/3 half's behind you for that. For me doing an IM was not about 'getting round' and finishing with a run/walk marathon, I wanted to race it and get a reasonable time and needed the halfs beforehand. Always knew they would lead to the full IM. I'd did 3 before the full IM - 2 the season before and one 2 months beforehand as partr of the training.
Dec 2011
11:55am, 30 Dec 2011
55,620 posts
  •  
GregP
It is traditional at this point, I believe, for me to plug "Training Plans for Multisport Afferletes" by Gail Bernhardt.

Consider it plugged.

amazon.co.uk
Dec 2011
10:05pm, 30 Dec 2011
5,546 posts
  •  
Broccers
Am in inlaw hell..... First time properly been here. My teeth are going to fall out from gritting them.
Dec 2011
10:06pm, 30 Dec 2011
5,547 posts
  •  
Broccers
Ooops wrong thread *blush*
Dec 2011
10:26pm, 30 Dec 2011
4 posts
  •  
MikeClease
Planning my 1st half for June this year too with an eye on a full IM next year, as Saracen says to do it justice, the expense and the 'event' demand it really. Good luck with your training, keep us updated on how it's going. :-)
Jan 2012
9:50am, 10 Jan 2012
2,737 posts
  •  
holgs
I went from pretty much nothing to Ironman in 11 months - 2 sprints, 1 Oly, 1 1/2 IM and then the Ironman. It is doable but I'm no where near the standard of TRO ( he's quick, I'm slow ).
It's a big ask of yourself if you don't have all the gear, can be v.expensive. Do you have the time to commit 10-15 hours of training a week? Would your family support you through your training? Could your body take the stress?

Get a feel for it by doing a half, and then maybe in 2013 jump to the full distance - I don't actually think that there is much difference ( apart from the obvious ) between the two. If you can complete a half you'll have no problems completing a full, you just need to train more.

Good luck.
Jan 2012
9:58am, 10 Jan 2012
26,128 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I started with 3 halfs lol

Yes try a half it's tough and gives you insight into what is expected for a full. If you can't keep up the training then forget the FULL

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Stoatally
Well 2012 is coming and I need a goal. I've been thinking about trentham half ironman for a while b...