Half Marathons raced during marathon training

5 watchers
Feb 2012
10:19pm, 26 Feb 2012
2,682 posts
  •  
paul the builder
My take - 5-6 weeks out is perfect if you ask me for racing a HM - time to recover and get back in to the training swing before tapering. But I do find a hard-raced HM, personally, needs a week recovery. That doesn't mean no training, just reducing, and looking out for signs of niggles or feeling generally run-down.

Schedules aren't always kind though, so I find myself this Spring with a HM only 3 weeks before VLM, and no other option (except not racing any longer than 5m in the build up). So I'll race the HM, but kind of conservatively, if that makes sense. But if you're short on 20+ mile long runs, then as Fozzy says, it might be more useful to slot in one of those.
Feb 2012
9:33pm, 27 Feb 2012
3,950 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
WW, thats a fair point, but either it happened or I should have a faster PB !!!

I did the Edinburgh half in 1:26, 3 weeks before FLM and that was a PB
I attempted 3 hrs at FLM when in reality I was in 3:02 ish shape - crashed and burned to 3:17
5 Weeks later after some smashing training, I ran the Sahara Desert Marathon that took place in Edinburgh that year (26 degrees) and ran 3:03

I suspect that while I finished FLM in a mess, I didnt really take too much out of my body as I was going backwards from 10 miles...

The following year with a 4 week gap between the two I did 3:04/3:06 and the 2nd was on an equally hot day to the year before, so maybe I can recover well from full marathons but not halfs....
Feb 2012
9:39pm, 27 Feb 2012
793 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Baz - we know that your mara PB should be faster but you'll put that right soon enough!
Feb 2012
10:31pm, 27 Feb 2012
3,146 posts
  •  
Joe Hawk
BC - Go for it you have plenty of time to recover afterwards before your mara.
Feb 2012
11:53pm, 27 Feb 2012
3,952 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
ww = lol but it wasnt time for me to be faster in 2009, 3:03 was about right

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Battlecat
I was hoping to get a fairly good hm pb in the middle of my marathon training this season.

My tar...