half marathon training plan

4 watchers
Nov 2014
5:28am, 15 Nov 2014
4 posts
  •  
HOBIT
Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some well known training plans/methods. Specifically aimed at half marathon distance.

I ran cardiff half in October in 1hr 36mins and have a goal of 1 hr 30mins. But haven't got a race booked.

I run x2 per week, I don't run too often as I have suffered with achilles issues which are manageable as long as I don't go mad. I think I could manage three possibly four runs per week, preferably 3.

My current two runs leading up to race day were one long run 10-12 miles and one 5-8 miles of intervals/hills

I have never followed a training plan, my runs generally involve trying to go as fast as possible, trying to improve on my last run and improving my min/mile pace. Often being all out efforts.

All recommendations/advice appreciated

Thanks
Nov 2014
12:10pm, 15 Nov 2014
1,136 posts
  •  
Canute
The Furman program would allow you to continue something similar to what you do at present, and is likely to produce PB performances in the short term.

It might not be the best approach if you want to achieve year-on-year improvement over a sustained period of time, because a larger volume of slower running is probably the best way to maximise development of type 1 muscle fibres that play an important part in distance running.

If it is really important to you to achieve a 90 minute HM soon, one possible approach would be to identify a target race in early spring, prepare for it using the Furman program, and then settle in to build up your ability to cope with a higher volume of slower training over the summer.
Nov 2014
12:15pm, 15 Nov 2014
7,592 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
You have done very well to get 1:36 of very little training.

I think you could improve lots with more running, but you would need to learn to run slower and forget about eyeballs out every run. Some nice east 6 mile runs will take less out of you but build your ability to run a bit faster and hold that pace for longer.

I would aim to keep your current 2 runs, make sure the long run though is at an easy pace and try to add in two more easy/moderate paced efforts.

If you have achilles issues, hills may not help !
Nov 2014
12:26pm, 15 Nov 2014
17,966 posts
  •  
fleecilyFurman
Do you do any other exercise? Going out and running fast twice a week sounds like a recipe for injury...Furman is good for sharpening up once you have a base, not sure you have much of one looking at your mileage! Could you not just add a long slow run in once a week and then a couple of speed sessions? Here's a Furman plan, it does assume you cross-train at something fairly intense (cycling, swimming etc) twice a week on top of your 3 runs. There's a thread on here for it. Other plans are also available.
Nov 2014
12:27pm, 15 Nov 2014
17,967 posts
  •  
fleecilyFurman
Oops, forgot to paste the link! m.runnersworld.com
Nov 2014
12:43pm, 15 Nov 2014
1,137 posts
  •  
Canute
I strongly endorse the importance of cross training as part of Furman.

I think the question of the risk of injury with Furman compared with program that involves a larger volume of slower running remains unanswered. High volume, slow running is also risky, and should be built up gradually. However , the fact that you already have Achilles problems indicates that whatever you decide to do, you need to take great care with regard to injury.
Nov 2014
12:49pm, 15 Nov 2014
7,593 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
3-4 runs a week isnt really high volume though but I agree the increase needs to be gradual.

I used to get achilles problems ,but they have largely gone following switching to use orthotics. Not everyones cup of tea I know, but they have worked for me
Nov 2014
1:39pm, 15 Nov 2014
1,138 posts
  •  
Canute
Baz your proposed plan is very sensible but might not lead to a sub-90 minute HM in the near future. I personally am not keen on seeking quick gains. I think that is one of the problems with the approach of US college athletic coaching. But each individual needs to decide what they want to get out of running.

HOBIT, I note that you have been running fairly fast HM’s since 2008. I also note that you have reduced you PB by less than 90 seconds over that time, so you need to do something a bit different if you want to get to sub-90 minutes. The possible short-cut to this goal would be to adjust you present training by making it more systematic, and adding cross training, as in Furman. But as pointed out above, this is a bit risky. If you want to steadily improve over a number of years, it will almost certainly be best to develop the ability to train more slowly.
Nov 2014
12:55am, 16 Nov 2014
5 posts
  •  
HOBIT
Thanks for the replies guys my training generally follows the pattern of a couple of months of focused running which sees me peak at a half marathon pace in the 97 min range give or take. then my running stalls stops and I lose focus for whatever reason. Unroll I next start running again where I am starting from scratch again

This time I am hoping to keep the running going and progressively improve, not really after quick improvements, and am prepared to plan long term as 6 mins feels quite a church to shave off.

My achilles won't really allow a rapid Increase in pace or distance, it's not too severe it just lurks in the background, I treat it with ice in the evenings when needed and have a sports massage once a month and that does the trick with a bit of stretching.

I attend a spin class once a week and do circuits/weights/crossfit type workouts up to twice a week to improve general fitness depending on how much free time I have

I have read that longer slower runs are the way forward, which I believe but struggle to understand how that can make me run a half marathon any faster.

Really appreciate the advice pls keep it coming
Nov 2014
12:55am, 16 Nov 2014
6 posts
  •  
HOBIT
Thanks for the replies guys my training generally follows the pattern of a couple of months of focused running which sees me peak at a half marathon pace in the 97 min range give or take. then my running stalls stops and I lose focus for whatever reason. Unroll I next start running again where I am starting from scratch again

This time I am hoping to keep the running going and progressively improve, not really after quick improvements, and am prepared to plan long term as 6 mins feels quite a church to shave off.

My achilles won't really allow a rapid Increase in pace or distance, it's not too severe it just lurks in the background, I treat it with ice in the evenings when needed and have a sports massage once a month and that does the trick with a bit of stretching.

I attend a spin class once a week and do circuits/weights/crossfit type workouts up to twice a week to improve general fitness depending on how much free time I have

I have read that longer slower runs are the way forward, which I believe but struggle to understand how that can make me run a half marathon any faster.

Really appreciate the advice pls keep it coming

About This Thread

Maintained by HOBIT
Hi all, I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of some well known training plans/metho...