Half marathon training between races help!

1 watcher
Oct 2013
9:05am, 1 Oct 2013
43 posts
  •  
soreeneater
Hi there, just completed the Isle of Axeholme Half in a time of 1:32:01. I am 61 in 3 weeks time and will be competing in the Bridlington Half on my birthday (mad fool) Found the Axeholme half very tough mentally. After 5 miles I was all ready for packing it in and the negativity lasted until 10 miles. Then ... just 5k to go, come on ... you're having a good run. The last 3 miles were much easier to break down in terms of training runs. 3 miles is from our house to the top of ... 2 miles is from ... to ... I just visualised runs from home or parts of training toget me through. Brid is 3 weeks away, what training should I do between now and then? Long steady runs? Steady runs with bits of speed in? Don't think that Brid will be any faster but I can already see the 5 mile negativity barrier waiting for me. Accept the Axeholme time as my best for this year and just enjoy a toddle round Brid or is that another negative thought?
Oct 2013
9:11am, 1 Oct 2013
27,466 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Three weeks isn't long enough to rest and peak again, but if you were in good shape for Axenholme it's short enough to maintain that form.

After recovering from Axenholme and before resting in preparation for Bridlington, you should work out and do whatever training would give YOU the confidence to go into Bridlington thinking, "I can run this entire race strongly and without struggling in the middle." Because the gremlins at Axenholme were clearly about mindset, not ability. And you're likely to run a better, more enjoyable, race if you go out expecting to feel OK.

Or pop some sweeties in your pocket and promise yourself that you can start eating them when you need sweetening up ;)

There is no reason why you shouldn't have a good race at Bridlington, weather and all that permitting.
Oct 2013
9:40am, 1 Oct 2013
45 posts
  •  
soreeneater
Thanks for that. Ran a 20 miler a few years ago, tough course and had to walk some of the way at the end. 2 weeks later I ran Hull 20 in 2:22. Ran Brid in 2009 in just under 1:28 and the hilly Holmfirth 15 a week later in 1:43 with just one midweek easy run between. What works for one person doesn't always ... Thanks for the advice anyway and the positivity.
Oct 2013
9:54am, 1 Oct 2013
69,683 posts
  •  
santababy
can i just say, 61 - 1.31 :) well done. You'll do no good trying to cram training in now.
Oct 2013
10:02am, 1 Oct 2013
3,858 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yeah, that 1:32 is a great time :-O Can't help with the other stuff, my legs are still aching after Sunday's Half!
Oct 2013
10:05am, 1 Oct 2013
27,470 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
And sometimes what "worked" didn't really work at all, it was just co-incidence and external circumstances :)

A few years ago, I targeted the Windsor Half, tapered and rested properly, was paced, and had a bit of a 'mare, though it was a big PB because my existing PB was putty. Came away thinking, "THAT isn't right," entered the Kenilworth Half two weeks later on impulse, trained through, did everything wrong all the way up to arriving at the start with no time to spare, threw myself at what was a completely unfamiliar undulating course, and knocked over 5 minutes off my time.

But I think, generally, if you know you've got the fitness (and you clearly have) then it's worth doing the sessions that'll give you the confidence to make the most of that fitness.
Oct 2013
10:13am, 1 Oct 2013
47 posts
  •  
soreeneater
Yep, had thought of using the local disused railway track (TransPennine Trail) and just doing some easy long runs. I've got a club winter handicap in a week's time and that will do as speed work. Not sure how I managed a marathon a couple of years ago. Looking at "just running" next year and forgetting about records and times. Races can be SO expensive now and why pay £16 for a race and petrol to get there, when you are just having a toddle round ... Mentally lacking in focus and motivation. RUN ... BECAUSE I CAN! :) :)
Oct 2013
10:42am, 1 Oct 2013
27,473 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Choose your races carefully, though, and running that sort of pace at 61 could mean that you're quids in from MV60 prize money :)
Oct 2013
10:48am, 1 Oct 2013
48 posts
  •  
soreeneater
Still waiting to see if there is a prize due from Sunday's half. Couldn't stay for the prize giving and I can't find any mention of prizes in the bumph! Ah well.
Oct 2013
10:53am, 1 Oct 2013
5,558 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Bridlington half is the YVAA half marathon champs race this year - definitely will be prize money for that one.

About This Thread

Maintained by soreeneater
Hi there, just completed the Isle of Axeholme Half in a time of 1:32:01. I am 61 in 3 weeks time and...