Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Half marathon training between races help!

1 watcher
Oct 2013
11:16am, 1 Oct 2013
3039 posts
Dooogs
Well done -that's a cracking time for any age. They're some seriously impressive WAVAs on your profile page. :)

If you're looking for some structured running without the faff and expense of races then Barnsley and Huddersfield parkruns aren't too far away from Penistone...
Oct 2013
11:26am, 1 Oct 2013
49 posts
soreeneater
Park Run difficult - sometimes manage to get there BUT the border in the picture needs an hour or so every morning for her walkies. Need to get up earlier - I know.
Oct 2013
11:27am, 1 Oct 2013
3042 posts
Dooogs
You know the solution - set up a Penistone parkrun and run with the dog... :)
Oct 2013
11:29am, 1 Oct 2013
50 posts
soreeneater
"Bridlington half is the YVAA half marathon champs race this year - definitely will be prize money for that one." Really does depend who turns up on the day. Won the V55 in 2009. A certain Pete Johnson from Scarborough AC is doing it this year. His times are awesome. He did 83:37 as a vet 60 in Brid last year.
Oct 2013
11:53am, 1 Oct 2013
799 posts
Canute
You have some brilliant achievements behind you and the Axeholme half shows you are physically in great shape. As Vrap says, the main issue for Bridlington is confidence. While anyone can have some good days and some bad days, it is important to work out what mental strategies work well for you. Focussing on the evidence that you can cope the remaining distance often works well in the final 5Km. In the mid-stages of a long race, I find that focussing on how I am running at the time, and what I can do to improve it, is usually the most helpful thing.

As you say, winning in the M60 category largely depends on who else turns up because the variability in how people cope with age is huge. I find that aiming for personal goals is the most satisfying, but you clearly still have the physical ability to be pretty competitive, so good luck.
Oct 2013
12:03pm, 1 Oct 2013
51 posts
soreeneater
Thanks for the comments Canute. I feel that I am being given "verbal" hugs over the tinternet by various people.
Oct 2013
12:18pm, 1 Oct 2013
27479 posts
Velociraptor
Hugs, my moon. I'm giving you evidence-based information ;)
Oct 2013
1:52pm, 1 Oct 2013
52 posts
soreeneater
Okay okay. Sorry. Just off out now to do a 50 miler so that 13.1 is a piece of CAKE! :)
Oct 2013
6:13pm, 3 Oct 2013
54 posts
soreeneater
went out for a run in the local woods today - steady 30 mins out and a bit faster back. my little border loved it and i even managed to tire her out a little. couldn't find ONE mile marker. think it's back to fell running next year and the odd road race rather than the other way round.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by soreeneater
Hi there, just completed the Isle of Axeholme Half in a time of 1:32:01. I am 61 in 3 weeks time and...