Half marathon to Marathon training

9 watchers
Sep 2018
2:22pm, 19 Sep 2018
29,208 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Larkim gets a +1 for that post. But I had to google Omerta! Every day's a school day.

Gazza, you're welcome to look at my training log, but no point after May of this year as I've barely run a step. Do as I say, not as I do! But after 10 years and 18,000 miles of training, I think I'm allowed a break!

Blogs are there charting the injury woes and analysis before and after each key marathon of what went right and what went wrong. Any questions, give me a shout.

Of course, we're all different and what applies for one may not for another. But I believe there's a core of stuff in there that works for most, except for the true outliers. For 25-45 year old male or female, reasonable fitness, reasonable level of keenness and commitment, a progression from "run a bit" to "do a decent marathon" (2:30-3:30) is doable for all.

Kids younger should aim higher. Those with health/fitness issues, or starting point over 50 might be better to aim lower. But these are just random numbers and observations, obv. Enjoy! :-) G
Sep 2018
2:27pm, 19 Sep 2018
9 posts
  •  
Gazza
Thanks HappyG(rrr) I will take a look at that, expect to hear from me! ha ha
Sep 2018
8:54pm, 19 Sep 2018
130 posts
  •  
roberton
Big thanks Gazza for kicking off an excellent thread. And thanks everyone who has contributed for some really interesting suggestions and quite a bit of wisdom.

Gazza: I’m based in Warrington and do the Victoria parkrun most weeks. Let me know if you want to say hi, not that I’m an expert. Also, after having EHM last weekend I am signing up for the Four Villages HM in Jan when it is open. And after that...?
Sep 2018
6:40am, 20 Sep 2018
10 posts
  •  
Gazza
Thanks Roberton
Did you do the EHM? I have done park run before warrington had one (Pennington flash and Worsley) and I'm actually going to do widnes on Saturday with my Mrs who's just joined Warrington RC.

I'm sure I'll bump into you at some point soon.
Sep 2018
6:59am, 20 Sep 2018
3,057 posts
  •  
jdarun
Gazza, single most important thing is to build up your long run to about 20 miles. Second most important would be just more miles and more days running per week. Steady gradual increases could see you there in about 10 weeks or so, certainly 12. Beyond that it's a question of how much you want to put in.
Sep 2018
9:19am, 20 Sep 2018
29,210 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Another +1 for jda there. The long run is key. Building up to it slowly is important. Once you've got there, doing more is generally better. But always with adequate rest and recovery to avoid injury.

Most, even quite advanced, marathon plans have 3-5 x 20 milers in them. I did 10 in the 18 weeks to my best marathon. More is good. But that was my 5th year and 10th marathon, so I'd built up to it, and that's important! :-) G
Sep 2018
9:44am, 20 Sep 2018
11 posts
  •  
Gazza
So looking to apply all this brilliant info from this thread to my running.

I'll spend the next 12 months getting a few more Halfs and 10k's under my belt

More easy miles in my training, continue with long slow runs at weekend, limit speed work to once per fortnight would you say? I enjoy tempo runs so plan to keep one per week.

Few questions

1. The long run.. my last one prior to my half was 12 miles, should I look to pick up where i left off and do a 13 miler next week or reduce the mileage and build up slowly over time to give myself a rest?

2. Still slightly confused about how i should train building for another race using the recommendations shared in this thread. Should tempo runs build slowly in intensity or length and is there a limit to how long a tempo run should last? and when no race is planned should maintenance be the goal and what would that look like?

Does there need to be progression in intensity or total miles per week to become a better runner.

Possibly guilty of overthinking things a little here...
Sep 2018
10:09am, 20 Sep 2018
29,213 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
To give you your starting structure, have a look at one of the standard plans. I'd recommend a Hal Higdon intermediate (you're not a beginner) but maybe avoid the Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced Marathoning (though even it has sensible rest and recovery structured into it, and very sensible build up, but might be a bit much?)

You'll find they'll all have something of pace in them once a week or every other week, so you won't miss your fun! And as larkim said, you can find other types of fun - run with others, pace them, run on interesting terrain e.g. hills or countryside (because you're going slow, you don't need flat and even ground), do fartleks or strides (bits of speed, but not much, within a general run - you get the fun, but not the damage) etc.

Re long run distance, probably staring at 10 or 12 is sensible. Again, have a look at the plans and see what they suggest. Start conservative and if it all feels fine, add a bit where you want.

I'm going to go and check out Hal Higdon intermediates now and see what they say specifically. :-) G
Sep 2018
10:14am, 20 Sep 2018
29,214 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
fetcheveryone.com/training-plan-view.php?id=269

That's the Hal Higdon Inter 2. Starts at 10 but goes up quite quickly. It's got some suggested 10K and other races in it. And some "race pace" runs too. See what you think? :-) G
Sep 2018
10:36am, 20 Sep 2018
14 posts
  •  
Gazza
Thanks for digging that out, I hadnt seen training plans on the website, where do i find them?

I like the look of that plan, the only issue is that due to having two young kids and commute to work etc, I only manage to run 3 times (I could possibly squeeze in a 4th session on a saturday with long run being monday).

About This Thread

Maintained by Gazza
On sunday I ran my second half marathon (previous one was 2016) in 01:45:30.

I did 8 weeks traini...