Half marathon to Marathon training

9 watchers
Sep 2018
2:28pm, 18 Sep 2018
First-time poster!!
  •  
Gazza
On sunday I ran my second half marathon (previous one was 2016) in 01:45:30.

I did 8 weeks training for this running 3 days per week (15-30m per week)

I'd like to have another shot at a half but also tempted once the soreness subsides to kick on from here and train for a marathon as its always been on my bucket list.

Can anyone give me some advice with regards to how much more training would be required? some of the plans I have seen are 16 weeks long, but im not sure whether i would need that long seeing as i am comfortable running 13 miles plus.
Sep 2018
2:46pm, 18 Sep 2018
376 posts
  •  
Slowkentrunner
Hi Gazza, i dont know if you've peeked at some of the marathon training threads on here but i can assure you that 16-18 weeks isn't too much even for seasoned marathoners.

You can train to just complete the distance in less than 16 weeks but i guess the plan and level of intensity you will require depends on your goals for the marathon. Your 1:45 HM pb would translate approximately to a sub 4:00 marathon. But i can assure you that a marathon is much much than just HM x 2.

As a guide my first marathon was run after several HMs on 5 days a week training and 40m/week and i got a 3:40.
Sep 2018
3:00pm, 18 Sep 2018
2 posts
  •  
Gazza
Hi Slowkentrunner and thanks for getting back to me. I would want to do myself justice and run a sub 4:00. I just wanted some clarification on how long it should take someone in my position with my level of fitness.
Sep 2018
3:06pm, 18 Sep 2018
19,870 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Welcome Gazza :-)

Well done on your half marathon. It looked like you really sped up in the second half, but then I saw the elevation profile in your training log - looks like a nice course after about 8 miles :-)

I would suggest not rushing into your first marathon, because it's easy to underestimate how much those longer runs will take out of you. Right now, it sounds like you're really enjoying your running - and that's a priceless thing!

How about an interim goal - there are lots of spring 20 milers (largely there to act as rehearsals and final long runs before marathons). How about aiming to get round one of those?
Sep 2018
3:21pm, 18 Sep 2018
5,595 posts
  •  
larkim
Agree with what Lord Fetch is saying on here. There's a temptation to leap towards a marathon because that's the "main event" in many people's minds when road running is mentioned. But don't underestimate the leap from 13.1 to 26.2 miles!

Really doing yourself justice is likely to warrant building up mileage over a 6 month period (at least) and then following a structured marathon training plan for anything between 12 and 18 weeks. But equally, plenty of people run HMs in / around 1:40 - 1:50 and then put in a block of training to get themselves up to marathon distance and have success.

Personally if you were a family member who I could persuade I would be suggesting a few things:-
- think about having a year of just enjoying a variety of running challenges - some 10ks, racing a few parkruns, maybe a trail half marathon instead of a road one. All these things, with training mileage (and slow miles) will just make you a better runner and keep you interested
- get on board with the "build a base" mentality - long slow miles over a number of months really do work surprisingly well!!
- work out for yourself how much time you can reasonably commit to training for a marathon, and then find a plan that fits that. If you can only run 3 times a week, no point trying to follow one with 5-7 days running.

All that sounds off-putting to a degree, and really its not meant to. Just helpful pointers which have certainly worked for me. I only ran my first marathon distance race in 2017 after my first half was in 2011. But when I did run my first marathon it went as well as I could have hoped - so the wait was worth it!!
Sep 2018
9:07am, 19 Sep 2018
3 posts
  •  
Gazza
Thanks for the advice All.

I've taken the advice on board and i've signed up for another local half marathon (Tatton Park) on 3rd November.

Can someone advise me on what my next 6 weeks training should look like, the plan i followed last time around was from the run less run faster App, which i loosely followed.

1 x weekly long run, upto 13 miles
1 x interval session
1 x tempo session

I supplemented this with walking and strength training in the gym.
Sep 2018
9:47am, 19 Sep 2018
19,873 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Those are typical sessions for most training plans - so they sound good for your next one.

With only a couple of HM’s under your belt, you’ll probably find a bit of improvement as you gain experience of racing too - learning to pace yourself well, and when you can push things.

Keep at it, and let us know how you’re getting on :-) And I’m sure there’ll be more advice to follow :-)
Sep 2018
9:51am, 19 Sep 2018
5,596 posts
  •  
larkim
Others might disagree, but you might want to do just 1 of the interval or tempo session, and then add in an easy 5 or 6 mile run instead. Not exciting or challenging, but otherwise every run you're doing has a degree of intensity about it.

It took me ages to get on board with the easy running approach (I followed initially the MyAsics plans which are a bit like the run less run faster / Furman stuff, but without the cross training) but I've succumbed!

How fast are you running the long run in relation to your HM race pace?

No harm in going a bit longer on the LRs too. Up to 15 miles at an easy pace, just that bit of extra distance can help. But not essential.

If Tatton is local you must be South Manchester / Cheshire? Delamere parkrun is 5 miles from my home, so our paths might cross at a race some time!
Sep 2018
9:58am, 19 Sep 2018
5,597 posts
  •  
larkim
(Just checked your log, I'm guessing Warrington HM based on the elevation profile matching the Warrington race I did a couple of years ago - good event, nice to have a second half heading downhill!)
Sep 2018
10:05am, 19 Sep 2018
4 posts
  •  
Gazza
Thanks Fetcheveryone, sundays marathon was hilly and the next one is flat so i'm sure i can improve on my time. I guess my question is , how do I decide on paces and distances in the next 6 weeks, I have always followed a plan which has built in intensity and distance week by week so without a plan i'm a bit in the wilderness.

Hi Larkim, Easy running is something i need to learn to accept a bit more. I end up pushing the pace more times than not even when a run was intended to be easy, i think this is beacuse I struggle for time and 3 sessions is all i have managed to do recently.

My long runs have been approx 40 secs -1:00 slower than Half marathon pace.

I am in Warrington, I have done parkrun in the past but struggle to get there on a saturday morning but its something i'm looking to try and get to more often.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gazza
On sunday I ran my second half marathon (previous one was 2016) in 01:45:30.

I did 8 weeks traini...