Half Marathon long run pace

2 watchers
Aug 2016
4:40pm, 27 Aug 2016
32,534 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
I'm asking for a friend (no really) there has been lots of chat about MP long runs but HMP long runs are these treated the same or do people just go out a do the pace or close to it.

Me personally have never trained specifically for HMP so trying not to mislead her 😉
Aug 2016
4:57pm, 27 Aug 2016
12,098 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Which one? HMP long run or HM long run pace? ;-)

If its the latter, about 2:30 HM pace for a 2:00 HM approx; for the former, never consciously do them. The nearest I'd get (pace a little faster) would be the bulk of a 10K race. Which isn't really a long run.
Aug 2016
5:57pm, 27 Aug 2016
32,535 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
So about 60-90 secs a mile on goal ?
Aug 2016
2:17pm, 28 Aug 2016
12,101 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Well, depends on how fast they are ;-). But something like that, yes. Definitely not hammering out the distance (or anything like it) at what they expect to race at.
Aug 2016
7:44pm, 28 Aug 2016
2,297 posts
  •  
mr d
I ran like a proper bell end today, so don't follow my example. 3 weeks out for a half and the start is two mins from my front door, so I ran 10 miles of the course, however I felt leggy (possibly the hill session earlier in the week) and it was hard work at just under 8 minute miles.

Ran a 7:40 average half on a much tougher course in April and was hoping for sub 7:30 on race day, might have gone too hard today with recent runs and general lack of sleep in mind.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
I'm asking for a friend (no really) there has been lots of chat about MP long runs but HMP long run...