Half Marathon - One Tip Each

4 watchers
Jan 2014
4:24pm, 22 Jan 2014
196 posts
  •  
magnumpti
Somehow I've got involved in the rebranding of a local Half Marathon. As part of that I've been asked to submit a blog about training and preparing for a half. Although I've got my own ideas I'd feel like a bit of a fraud writing one as some sort of expert (I've only ran one half) so to assist I thought I'd ask the Fetchie community to help me. Anyone got any nuggets of information that would help?
Jan 2014
4:26pm, 22 Jan 2014
15,262 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Run until your Garmin reads 13.1, then stop. That's your official time.
Jan 2014
4:41pm, 22 Jan 2014
13,827 posts
  •  
Mad Dame Fleecy
Don't go out too fast on the day: force yourself to run slightly slower than you think you should and then you won't die on your arse at 10 miles (took me about 5 halves to crack this one)
Jan 2014
4:51pm, 22 Jan 2014
383 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
Think of it as three five mile sections, because after ten miles it'll start to get quite hard.
Jan 2014
5:03pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,932 posts
  •  
Jon_T
Its only a half, just do it!
Jan 2014
5:10pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,366 posts
  •  
Battlecat
I like to split the distance into 2 x 5 miles and a 5k at the end.

If it's your first half then I think it's a good idea to run the distance before race day (at least 3 week before the actual race though) so you have the confidence you'll finish. That said, if you haven't managed to get that many long runs in I think you can complete a half marathon having only run up to 8 miles in training. The other 5 are taken care of by race day excitement/nerves.
Jan 2014
5:18pm, 22 Jan 2014
197 posts
  •  
magnumpti
Thanks for your contributions so far, this (well some of it!) is just the sort of stuff I need!
Jan 2014
6:22pm, 22 Jan 2014
658 posts
  •  
Fitz
I wrote this for some colleagues doing their first half, you're welcome to reproduce it as you wish (copyright issues can be sorted out by buying me a beer some time!):

In advance:
1) Take it easy this week. A couple of light jogs if you feel like it, but nothing too strenuous. I wouldn't run after Thursday for a Sunday race.
2) Sort out all your sh!t in advance. If you have an early start on Sunday you don't want to be running round in a flap getting your kit together. Plan your transport and make sure you take into account weekend engineering works!
3) Increase your carb intake on Friday & Saturday (pasta is best) but don't overdo it.

Race-day:
1) Don't do anything new. This is not the time to wear new kit for the first time, or to experiment with food, drinks, gels, etc. that you have not tried in training.
2) Eat breakfast early (at least 2 hours before the start), top up with a banana around 30 mins before running.
3) Aim to arrive 45 minutes before the race, allowing for logistics like baggage-drop, loo queues, getting to the start, etc.
4) "Dress for the second mile." If it's cold, wear an old t-shirt over your running kit and throw it away at the start. If it's raining, a black bin-bag makes a good disposable poncho to keep you dry while waiting for the start. Don't over-dress for the run itself, you'll soon be warm enough not to need multiple layers.
5) Large sticking plasters will save you from painful bleeding nips, especially if the weather is cold & wet. A bit of vaseline will protect moving parts from chafing.

On the road:
1) Stick to your pace plan. Don't get sucked in to going too fast at the start by the excitement of the large crowd or by the desire to overtake people to give yourself some space. Try to run a consistent pace every mile.
2) Don't weave in and out trying to overtake - you're just adding to your distance. Be patient and the gaps will open up.
3) Know where the water stations are and plan for them. Take on a little water at each one, if it's in bottles don't feel you have to drink the lot.
4) All roads have a camber (i.e. a slope from one side to the other or a crest in the centre to allow drainage). Try to run on the crown of the road (i.e. the highest point of the camber) as the surface will be better and you won't feel that you're constantly battling gravity or twisting your ankles to stay straight.
5) When it starts getting tough, repeat: "Winners don't quit; Quitters don't win." Forget how far you've gone or how far you still have to go, just run one mile at a time.
6) When you can see the finish, sprint!

Afterwards:
1) Have some warm dry clothes to change into.
2) Eat!
3) Beer!
Jan 2014
6:33pm, 22 Jan 2014
659 posts
  •  
Fitz
Oh, you only wanted one tip?

Ummm, the one about beer then.
Jan 2014
6:46pm, 22 Jan 2014
3,093 posts
  •  
fitzer
Maybe bring a gel or something for around the 9 mile mark.

Oh and its you first don't worry about time.

Hello Fitz ^

About This Thread

Maintained by magnumpti
Somehow I've got involved in the rebranding of a local Half Marathon. As part of that I've been as...