Half Marathon - Nutritional Needs during the Race

7 watchers
Sep 2015
6:38pm, 15 Sep 2015
17,751 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
If it's hot maybe a small drink for a HM, but I wouldn't expect to eat (pb 1-40)
Sep 2015
6:54pm, 15 Sep 2015
6,726 posts
  •  
Ness
I have a good breakfast, 2 or 3 hours before the race. Usually beans on toast followed by a small fruit yoghurt. I have a glass of water with it. Tea or coffee seems to irritate my gut.

15 minutes or so before the start, I have a couple of dextrose tablets. After an hour of running a couple more dextrose tablets and a couple more towards the end. I don't bother taking on water unless it's very warm.

I've run 30+ half maras... Love them. :)
Sep 2015
9:15am, 16 Sep 2015
343 posts
  •  
Chris
Dextrose tablets without water? I tried that once and it turned to dust in my mouth
Sep 2015
9:04pm, 16 Sep 2015
6,728 posts
  •  
Ness
They are quite dry, yes, but I manage to get them down. I find them easier to deal with than gels and they are a whole lot cheaper.
Sep 2015
12:08am, 17 Sep 2015
16 posts
  •  
Komodo
I do similar - jelly babies in plastic bag down the bra instead of dextrose though. Know not everyone wears a bra...
Sep 2015
9:54am, 17 Sep 2015
2,606 posts
  •  
MeLAR
I did the exact same thins with my Jelly Babies on the GNR Komodo, bras better than any handbags ;-)

I really struggled with my stomach 8 miles in, not sure if it was porridge for breakfast or the Lucozade sports drinks :-(

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedAlex76
Hi Everyone,

I have enter my first half marathon in November and was wondering what advice you co...