Half Marathon - Nutritional Needs during the Race

7 watchers
Sep 2015
2:22pm, 15 Sep 2015
340 posts
  •  
Chris
I always have a couple of jelly babies in the second half, partly because its nice to have something to look forward to and I do think a little pick me up helps when its starting to get tough.

Good luck!
Sep 2015
2:24pm, 15 Sep 2015
16,432 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Chris - that's a good point. When we were building up our long runs this winter, we'd have a jelly baby every two miles. It helps to break it up.
Sep 2015
2:28pm, 15 Sep 2015
185 posts
  •  
RedAlex76
Stu I wonder if that is a similar course to the one I ran for the New Forest 10 Miler earlier this year. The water stations there were cups as well and as someone still getting used to races / taking water on I choked a couple of times as well!.

I may see what options I can get my hands on and test them out over the next few weeks and see how I get on. I've got 2 months to make a decision about race strategy and I want to see if I can get my average pace up locally which should help come race day.
Sep 2015
2:31pm, 15 Sep 2015
19,678 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I'm old and slow but don't drink anything other than water and don't bother with that for a half, anything over a half and I take a couple of percy pigs
I can't stand gels and don't understand why anyone would want to eat sugar in that form
I think a lot of the things we're made to feel are "essential" like sports drinks and gels are really just another marketing opportunity
Sep 2015
2:31pm, 15 Sep 2015
223 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
I think the half route was identical to the 10 Miler with an out and back into Brockenhurst added on.
Sep 2015
2:52pm, 15 Sep 2015
2,047 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
I don't need to eat anything during a half and cba faffing with gels. If I'm thirsty I'll get a drink.

As suggested above I suspect race nutrition is overhyped by people flogging race nutrition. However a placebo effect is still an effect, so go with whatever makes you comfortable/happy.

Just don't turn into someone who can't do a 5k without a fully stocked fuel belt...
Sep 2015
2:54pm, 15 Sep 2015
342 posts
  •  
Chris
5k = 5 gels doesn't it?
Sep 2015
2:58pm, 15 Sep 2015
16,433 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
5k = 2 litre bottle of Fanta :-)
Sep 2015
3:05pm, 15 Sep 2015
25,013 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I thought the theory was your body can only store glycogen for c. 1 hour worth of effort. In a marathon, 200 cal gel lasts about 20-30 mins, so you need 4-8 to last the hours 2-4. In a half, you'd need a couple at least. So I tend to have 2 in a half, about 7 and 10 miles. They taste horrible of course, but I've found a brand that don't actually make me sick.

Might all be sales rubbish and I'm a mug and any effect is placebo, but I'm sticking to it! Good luck. :-) G
Sep 2015
3:09pm, 15 Sep 2015
405 posts
  •  
jdarun
A lot depends how quick you are. I never took anything in my first couple of HMs, at most a sip of water around half way, but they weren't in hot conditions. Last couple I did eat because I was really practising for an upcoming marathon.

This is at sub 1:30 pace (just), if you are looking at 2h or more I would be much more inclined to eat maybe two snacks at 1/3 and 2/t distance, but even then it probably isn't really necessary as long as you are properly fed beforehand.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedAlex76
Hi Everyone,

I have enter my first half marathon in November and was wondering what advice you co...