Grindleford Gallop

18 watchers
Mar 2012
7:47pm, 12 Mar 2012
669 posts
  •  
Ian M
Flip, no that doesn't happen, not around here anyway. A race we are in the process of organising has had limits imposed upon us by local authority. We can only invite up to 200 I believe and that's that. Plus we had to prove that we could cope with that number in order to get a permit etc. I reckon each race is different due to where it is etc. but someone somewhere is usually there to do a sanity check to reduce risk.
Mar 2012
7:51pm, 12 Mar 2012
12,531 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
I think you'll find the attrition rate is high, and unsurprisingly higher for the longer races. To be fair, it's a win-win. The organisers will never break the 'legal' limit for the race but they have the revenue.
Mar 2012
7:56pm, 12 Mar 2012
670 posts
  •  
Ian M
And if they did all turn up FR, the organisers would be able to cope. Of course there will always be people who simply don't turn up but I don't think it's fair on folk who organise races to infer that they all advertise more places than they can handle because they don't.

Right I'm off before I get too exasperated. :-)
Mar 2012
7:59pm, 12 Mar 2012
12,533 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
Fair enough, I'm only possibly stating that there is a margin that on a relatively large race it could result in a large amount of waste, say 1,000 entries and 10% dropout? That's 100 medals, t-shirts, etc surplus to requirement.
Mar 2012
8:01pm, 12 Mar 2012
4,786 posts
  •  
flip
Aye, i'm with you Ian . again fen i doubt it in little races like this tbh . A win win is everyone who gets a place running and if they can't then they place being taken by a reserve . In my mind , To many folk enter races the never run which is particularly sad when they know there is a limit.
Mar 2012
8:03pm, 12 Mar 2012
12,534 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
...and the injury rate amongst runners is? :-( :-( :-(
Mar 2012
8:08pm, 12 Mar 2012
4,787 posts
  •  
flip
surely , injuries thats stops them contacting the organisers in time? most be quite low. yes?
Mar 2012
8:25pm, 12 Mar 2012
3,599 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
For the Gallop, I think it is relevant that it is registration on the day which allows the organisers to know exactly how many are there and running. And Flip, this isn't exactly a "small" race, in addition to the hundreds of runners there are walkers and hikers too who set off earlier. It is actually one of the largest races in the area.
Mar 2012
8:33pm, 12 Mar 2012
4,788 posts
  •  
flip
hundreds not thousands. it's still a fairly small affair .

excactly how may runners is relevent but nowt to do with folk doing their best to letting the organisation know they can't run so they can use the reserve list and let folk who can make it run. Surely thats just good manners.
Mar 2012
8:39pm, 12 Mar 2012
485 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
It would be ideal if every place that was available was taken, but I don't think any impression that choosing not to race in the last couple of days is unacceptable should be given. The terrain may be relatively light by comparison with other surrounding environments, but it's still not trivial and without its risks, and people should feel free to make the call not to race at any moment - I'd rather that than have to be recovered due to heading out at times when they're not feeling upto it but feel compelled to start. It's just part of taking responsibility for your own well-being out there.

If the call can be made early enough to transfer a place, ok, but if not there shouldn't be pressure that you must race.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dave A