Greta Thunberg - JFK for the Climate Generation?

4 watchers
Sep 2019
2:59pm, 24 Sep 2019
32,460 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
How fantastic was her excoriation of the world's governments at the UN climate change conference?! She's my new hero.

Wonderful to see the kids of the world protesting peacefully but forcefully across the world last Friday.

There was a good editorial in the Big Issue (Scotland) by Paul McNamee saying that the climate change issue is being left to the kids, and that it is therefore in great hands. They have demonstrated brilliantly their ability to grasp the issue, to mobilise and to make demands. This is a bloomin good start! Just need some of the old gits of our generation to listen and act (or move over and let the kids fix things!) :-) G
Sep 2019
4:05pm, 24 Sep 2019
26,519 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Climate change is a Hoax. I know this to be true because Trump said it.
Sep 2019
4:12pm, 24 Sep 2019
18,481 posts
  •  
Columba
She's a new Joan of Arc
Sep 2019
4:14pm, 24 Sep 2019
3,326 posts
  •  
Raemond
So was the moon landing tho, Dave.O, so the comparison just gets better :D
Sep 2019
4:20pm, 24 Sep 2019
8,866 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
It was awesome. When I saw Greta on News at Ten I arose from my sofa and punched the air!

You go Greata!

Absolutely fantastic.
Sep 2019
8:10am, 25 Sep 2019
32,463 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
She's smart, powerful and dignified. A real inspiration.

I tell you though, I worry about human beings. I know it's only one voice and it's not necessarily representative, but I read a crackers letter in the Metro this morning, from a 17 year old - "Poor Greta... no evidence... spouting vitriol... shouldn't be led by someone my age" or something.

Evidence - undeniable, and GT has cited plenty over the months.
Vitriol - it's just powerful, heartfelt and angry, but it's still coherent and constructive
Shouldn't be someone her age - true, but if adults and senior leaders aren't doing, who better than the coming generation?

Just such a sad letter and a sad reaction from a 17 year old. Hopefully not representative. :-) G
Sep 2019
9:19am, 25 Sep 2019
24,108 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
Stop reading the Metro it's shit.
Sep 2019
9:24am, 25 Sep 2019
43,263 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Why shouldn't it be someone her age? I'd be delighted to see more folk in their teens shouting out to protect their future.
Sep 2019
9:35am, 25 Sep 2019
8,768 posts
  •  
larkim
Irrespective of how correct we believe she is, I'm uncomfortable with the concept of placing reliance on a 16 year old to lead change. I'd rather trust the advocacy of scientists and experienced campaigners, though it's undeniable that the media have found a vehicle to promote opposition to climate change and government inaction in her and she is therefore undoubtedly a power for good.

She has a powerful voice and I hope she continues to use it wisely.
Sep 2019
10:11am, 25 Sep 2019
3,329 posts
  •  
Raemond
I agree that the extent to which the press in particular have seized on her as a figurehead is a bit concerning, it's a lot of attention and pressure on one person regardless of their age.

It's good that the cause is getting more coverage and many more are inspired to take action (even if the majority of that action is still at the protesting stage, at least that's a start), though, and hopefully others will start to share the spotlight to take some of the focus off Greta

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
How fantastic was her excoriation of the world's governments at the UN climate change conferenc...