•  
GlennR
:)
Feb 2021
2:47pm, 3 Feb 2021
5,428 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Have thoroughly enjoyed "The Art of Drumming" on Sky Arts again over the last 4 weeks, probably available on catch-up.
Watched as a bit of a binge over the last few evenings.
Buddy Rich was rated number 1. Saw him and his big band in Cardiff many years ago. He was wiping perspiration off his brow from the end of the first number to the end of the concert. Must have lost a few pints of sweat across the evening, as did one or two of the air drummers in the audience, just seated in front of us!
Feb 2021
2:53pm, 3 Feb 2021
72,736 posts
  •  
swittle
+1 to that, Dai. Terrific series, informative and thoroughly entertaining. [I saw Buddy Rich & his band at Wakefield Theatre Club in its pomp, as a 17 y o schoolboy. Dazzling, primeval energy.]
Feb 2021
2:59pm, 3 Feb 2021
5,431 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
S, watching it reminded me to buy the Billy Cobham "Spectrum" album. I have a couple of albums including Mahavishnu stuff that he played on.
Off to try and find that now...
Feb 2021
3:02pm, 3 Feb 2021
72,737 posts
  •  
swittle
:)
Feb 2021
7:50pm, 3 Feb 2021
28,578 posts
  •  
macca 53
Whilst we’re wallowing in 60s nostalgia, I found out today that Here Comes my Baby, a big hit forThe Tremeloes was written by Cat Stevens (perhaps I should have put this on things you know today.....)

https://youtu.be/CMy6PaZT7_g
Feb 2021
9:50pm, 3 Feb 2021
72,740 posts
  •  
swittle
^ Tune!
Feb 2021
3:45pm, 4 Feb 2021
18,610 posts
  •  
Chrisity
I read/heard recently that hearing the Animals House of the Rising Sun was what made Dylan change from acoustic to electric. With my memory, it might have been on here, but maybe Sky Arts.
Feb 2021
12:01pm, 12 Feb 2021
5,438 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Mrs DB was then just barely a teen in the mid 60s, if that, when the Tremeloes played at Treharris in South Wales and her dad took her to see them. Bloody rubbish was his response after the gig that he was taunted with for years to come by my wife and her brother.
Trharris was then and still is a typical mining village albeit the mines closed years ago. Whoever promoted the gig must have made money as she recalls the venue being packed as tight as could be with young girls, and a few mothers and fathers, screaming away.

Sad to read that Chick Corea has Returned to Forever after cancer took him.
Found the OGWT gig on youtube that prompted me into buying the vinyl first album that I still have.
Here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZiRiv9G-M
Feb 2021
2:43pm, 12 Feb 2021
4,239 posts
  •  
12barDavid
I read about Chick Corea’s death yesterday. I got into his music in a round about way. I am a big fan of John McLaughlin & the Mahavisnu Orchestra. I was lucky enough to see them play live many years ago. So while looking into John McLaughlin’s musical heritage, I found out that he was in Miles Davis band. So after buying a couple of Miles Davis L.P.‘S, I then discovered that Chick Corea was in one of Miles bands.
As Dai said, it’s sad to read of his passing. Another great improviser gone from this world. Thanks for the YouTube clip Dai.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
The original prog wire, now incorporating "Moldy Fig: The Fetchland Jazz Wire" and "Dais of Future Passed: Dai's Proper Music Wire".

Ninety minutes from New York to Paris.