Greater Manchester Marathon 2020

36 watchers
Nov 2020
1:36pm, 10 Nov 2020
4,404 posts
  •  
clare1976
Yeah, I've got places deferred for London and NYC, both of which I'd like to complete, but at best, I'd run the distance at 'general' pace. My knee doesn't respond well to even half distance and so whilst I'm not going to make it worse if I push on, it would get pretty painful so just not worth it.
Nov 2020
1:37pm, 10 Nov 2020
4,871 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I saw that you'd started to pick up the distance on your long runs again Clare, I was hoping that was a good sign.

Your message above sounds a bit different though - have you decided to keep it a bit shorter in the immediate future and focus away from mara distance?

Fingers crossed for you, of course.
Nov 2020
4:51pm, 10 Nov 2020
4,405 posts
  •  
clare1976
Thanks WW. I suppose u should blog really but struggling for time and motivation.

My knee injury is permanent (meniscus tear) so it won't ever heal and surgery isn't an option. So I have to learn to manage it. I can currently 'get away' with running 3-4 times per week, 20-25m total and creeping into double figures for a long run - it tends to be ok when I'm running but then tightens up and gets sore after. A few ibuprofen in the 24 hrs or so after a long run sorts it, and so I go again.. I'm also using KT tape for some support. This is how I've been advised to manage it and it means I can continue to doing some of what I love. Better than nothing but all feels a bit cruel at 44, when I don't feel like I've hit my potential and I've not always been a runner so I shouldn't be ready for the knackers yard yet. Up to now I've supplemented the running with a lot of cycling, gym etc but lockdown and the weather is restricting that now so I need to find a new balance.

All in all, I'm finding the positives and trying to be grateful for what I can still do... but I still miss hard training sessions and being able to run whenever I want to most days.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Race CANCELLED (twice) :-(