Greater Manchester Marathon 2020

36 watchers
Jul 2020
3:20pm, 14 Jul 2020
11,513 posts
  •  
larkim
WAVA reckons it's about a 2-3 minute loss over 2 years as a marathon outcome. I might have to re-adjust my sights now as it will be >18 months since the first of my failed entries to marathons, what with Covid and last minute injuries!
Jul 2020
3:34pm, 14 Jul 2020
4,717 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
perhaps a solid period of base training will help stem the decline though lark. I suppose the issue to committing to that training phase will be the uncertainty around events in spring 2021.

I'd better go look if I can book some accommodation for April though, hadn't I.
Jul 2020
3:37pm, 14 Jul 2020
11,514 posts
  •  
larkim
Mojo has been a struggle I will admit. I'd love to say I'm committed enough to put in 50mpw consistently though to spring, but I know I won't.
Jul 2020
3:38pm, 14 Jul 2020
54 posts
  •  
markgallmac
I've just cancelled my April accomodation Wool, premier inn old trafford, family room. Took my refund too. Not meant to be for me, I'll move onto something else.
Jul 2020
3:47pm, 14 Jul 2020
4,718 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I think I read elsewhere that you want to focus on the shorter stuff Mark - assume that you don't want to try and commit to marathon training with the shorter stuff as a priority. Your times are strong so I can totally understand your mindset.

I'll admit that right now I'm sitting here hoping that London is called off too. It's going to take a bit of a shift in mindset for me to get focused on marathons again after this period off.
Jul 2020
4:08pm, 14 Jul 2020
56 posts
  •  
markgallmac
I had got myself into the right shape in April to give it a right good go, but turning M50 in March theres a few shorter events I want to give a good go at. I have some unfinished track business... :)
Jul 2020
4:26pm, 14 Jul 2020
11,515 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm thinking now that I might just cash in the refund and set sights on October 2021 for the next marathon. Take off the stress, get in shape for a decent HM or similar in spring next year and then crack on to the autumn. Less chance of being disappointed that things won't have changed around.

I'll need to think though how I manage to challenge myself sufficiently in the meanwhile so I don't just tumble off a fitness cliff.
Jul 2020
4:29pm, 14 Jul 2020
631 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Mark - After 10 years running I have set 5k, 10k and Marathon PB times this year. Approaching 61 and the OH has also set same plus a 10 mile and HM to make a full set and is likely to get quicker given the 100 mile weeks she has been racking up during ‘lockdown’. We don’t all degrade with age, good luck for your future attempts.
SPR
Jul 2020
4:35pm, 14 Jul 2020
30,444 posts
  •  
SPR
Seems like the admin fee (which is a reasonable amount) could have been explained in a way that elicited a bit more sympathy.

Regarding the no refunds policy, does that really stand up? Yes I can understand if you cancel, but there must be some protection for customers if an event doesn't go ahead given the customer has received nothing for their money?
Jul 2020
4:35pm, 14 Jul 2020
57 posts
  •  
markgallmac
Kev, thanks for that. That's fantastic! In the last year I have had PBs from 1500m up to the half marathon, the marathon was the only one for the set, but I will come back to it. I will scratch that itch eventually :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Race CANCELLED (twice) :-(