Greater Manchester Marathon 2017

29 watchers
Apr 2017
8:29pm, 2 Apr 2017
1,670 posts
  •  
jennyh
*jdarun, not sure why my phone chose to change that to Justin!
Apr 2017
8:32pm, 2 Apr 2017
3,729 posts
  •  
Nelly
I'm glad everybody enjoyed it, and there appears to have been no c***ups (yet) this year.

The narrower start was introduced at the Half marathon in October after people complained after last years marathon that they wanted a start gantry, as they didn't realise the massive arch over the road was the start line.

I started with the relay runners at 9:30. I think the last marathon runner crossed the line about 7-8mins before then. This was much longer than I was expecting, and meant I caught up with the "pack" much sooner.

Damo I was one of the runners running on the "wrong" side of the road towards you, as I made my way through the pack.
Apr 2017
8:49pm, 2 Apr 2017
144 posts
  •  
speedy rob
I echo the above compliments to the organisers: I couldn't fault the organisation. It was substantially improved from when I ran it in 2014. Sports cap water was great to drink enough and hose me down, and that alone (compared to the pyramid bags) made a huge difference. I got my sub-3, so well happy: had steak & champaign for dinner!

Nelly: If you got through the ~3:30 paced masses I saw as I returned from Altrincham I take my hat off to you (figuratively).
SM6
Apr 2017
9:08am, 3 Apr 2017
842 posts
  •  
SM6
Yip, the organisation was spot on this time so fair play. I did have a moan last year (quite rightly) so it's only fair to say they got it right this year. I expect *if* I do a road marathon next spring it'll be Manchester again.
Apr 2017
10:24am, 3 Apr 2017
1,416 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Lass
After the fiasco last year with the baggage, it was great to see that the organisers had thought it out this year so you got your bag within minutes of finishing. Loved the finish area setup, in fact I loved the whole event. Much preferred this years route with less switch backs. The start area was less chaotic, I crossed the start 15 mins after the gun and didnt really notice the congestion, there seemed to be more pacers too which was great although they were soon out of sight!
Apr 2017
4:23pm, 3 Apr 2017
37 posts
  •  
premierfella
My first time at the Manchester Marathon - seems I picked the right year for it as the organisation was faultless. The sun probably cost me a PB, but I can hardly blame the organisers for that! - and it gives me another reason to go back in a year or two :)
Apr 2017
4:56pm, 3 Apr 2017
356 posts
  •  
damo2000
Just nitpicking, but only thing they could have improved was a signed reunion area with letters for the different surnames, doesn't seem to have been onestablished that I spotted. But would definitely recommend it to anyone.
Apr 2017
7:04am, 4 Apr 2017
111 posts
  •  
Spanners99
Must say likely i will enter again next year. Saw early bird discount....
Apr 2017
7:28am, 4 Apr 2017
3,732 posts
  •  
Nelly
Damo - they've had signposted reunion areas in the past and everybody ignored them; it ended up exactly like Sunday.

Spanners - you're not the only one ;-)
Apr 2017
9:04am, 4 Apr 2017
1,391 posts
  •  
jdarun
BTW does everyone agree the course was very tightly measured this year? Before anyone gets too excited, I'm not implying or even hinting that it was short. But last year it measured a bit long by my garmin, and this year was much closer. I checked a random collection of strava results for both years (closest half dozen to me on flyby) and they seem to generally agree, with a small amount of variation.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Race date - 2nd April 2017

Live Tracking - stuweb.co.uk

Race Booklet - link at bottom of Page 23 of this thread

Website - greatermanchestermarathon.com

Fetch Listing (inc new 2017 route) - http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=949210

Also, relay team members please feel free to get involved with discussions :-)