Greater Manchester Marathon 2017

29 watchers
Jun 2016
9:10am, 15 Jun 2016
3,322 posts
  •  
Nelly
Even though we haven't got a race date yet, and entries aren't open, I think I've waited long enough to open the 2017 race thread (;-))…

Only that little marathon in our capital city has seen more Fetchies log marathon times in each of the last two years than GMM, so it is (or has been) a popular race for Fetchies. Despite the well documented baggage issue last year and short course in previous years, hopefully it will be again in 2017.

With the release of the Premier League football fixtures this morning you'd expect we would be one step closer to knowing the 2017 race date, however, there doesn't appear to be a weekend in April that either MUFC aren't at home or doesn't clash with VLM/Brighton. I wonder whether they'll have to go for the 9th (and clash with Brighton) or whether they'll consider the last weekend in March/first weekend in May:-

March 25th / 26th – MUFC no game (England game)
April 1st / 2nd – MUFC vs West Brom
April 8th / 9th – MUFC @ Sunderland - clashes with Brighton
April 15th / 16th – MUFC vs Chelsea - Easter weekend
April 22nd / 23rd – MUFC @ Burnley - clashes with VLM
April 29th / 30th – MUFC vs Swansea
May 6th / 7th – MUFC @ Arsenal

I would ask that if you want to discuss/read about the problems with the baggage in 2016 or short course from previous years, and/or the adequacy of the discount offered, please can you use the previous thread http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__57710__123__greater_manchester_marathon_2016 and keep this thread on topic.
Jun 2016
9:52am, 15 Jun 2016
1,861 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Now that the start/finish is at the cricket ground and no longer at the football ground, then would it be feasible to have the race on the sunday when MUFC playing at home on the Saturday ?

The only problem there is that although the dates are Saturdays at the moment, I think the TV companies have the right to change the dates to a Sunday, eg you'd imagine the MU v Chelsea game would be televised and therefore shifted.

So I'd say Sun 9th looks most likely
Jun 2016
10:08am, 15 Jun 2016
3,323 posts
  •  
Nelly
As you say Gus, given the change in race village location then I'd imagine there would be no problem with the race being on the same weekend as a MUFC home game, as long as they're not on the same day. BUT given the PL pander to Sky/BT Sport's every demand then even only two months before a game it is still anyone's guess what day fixtures will actually be played (this year there are going to be Friday night live games as well)!

That said, at this stage I'd imagine the chance of the West Brom game (1st) being moved for TV must be remote, especially given that weekend there is Arsenal vs Man City and the Merseyside derby.

If Xtra Mile are desperate to avoid a clash with Brighton (9th), and can't get permission for the 2nd, then another option may be to consider Easter Monday?
Jun 2016
10:22am, 15 Jun 2016
1,862 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Do you think they really need to avoid clashing with Brighton ? Apart from a very few people ( we know a few here ! ) the vast majority of people are not going to run a marathon on consecutive weekends or 2 weeks apart, so they are already in direct competition with VLM and Brighton for 99.99% of marathon runners.

Race on the Monday ?? Nah, don't see that myself
Jun 2016
10:48am, 15 Jun 2016
3,324 posts
  •  
Nelly
I think they would avoid clashing with VLM at (almost) all costs; Brighton less so, but I think it would still be preferable. Given the issues with the past few years and the possibility of reduced numbers in 2017, if I was organising it I'd want to be absolutely maximising my target market and make a special effort to avoid clashes in 2017 (even if it only opened it up to another 100-200 people).

It's also worth noting that (English) school holidays are 31st March to 17th April, so having it on the 9th may exclude anybody who was planning an Easter holiday.

Milton Keynes has been on May Bank Holiday Monday for the past few years, and of course Boston in on a Monday, but admittedly it wouldn't be a great option over Easter.

That said, I'd be pushing for the 2nd, on the basis that the MUFC game could be played on the Friday if Sky are desperate to show it or Saturday early evening it BT want to show it.
Jun 2016
11:11am, 15 Jun 2016
1,097 posts
  •  
CumbriAndy
There's another footballing factor to be thrown into the mix this year - since ManUre in the Europa League, they'll be playing any games in that tournament on Thursdays. I don't know the dates for those games - and we can always hope they'll be out of it by Christmas - but it's something the marathon organisers are going to have to think about.

For what it's worth, I've always thought the International Break weekend would be more sensible - it's easier for everybody's planning in that it's a fixed date every year and there is less demand on policing and hotel space in the city (No home game for either club). Can't see that the last weekend in March would make any notable difference to any training plans set up for the first weekend in April.
Jun 2016
11:27am, 15 Jun 2016
3,325 posts
  •  
Nelly
I'd already looked at the Europa League fixtures Andy, but I didn't mention it in case it unnecessarily confused things; the Quarter Final dates are 13th & 20th April, so it's only going to effect the Chelsea and Burnley dates, which I don't think are likely marathon weekends anyway.

You're right, maybe international weekend is a possibility.
Jun 2016
11:28am, 15 Jun 2016
193 posts
  •  
PeeG
CumbriAndy, we looked at that and the Europa League has a match on 16th March and first leg of next round on 13th April so it wouldn't affect the 2nd because of solely the Europa League.

uefa.com
Jun 2016
12:00pm, 15 Jun 2016
32,309 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
If it's May 7th I'll do it my birthday weekend.
Jun 2016
1:30pm, 15 Jun 2016
3,326 posts
  •  
Nelly
Confirmed as 2nd April facebook.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Nelly
Race date - 2nd April 2017

Live Tracking - stuweb.co.uk

Race Booklet - link at bottom of Page 23 of this thread

Website - greatermanchestermarathon.com

Fetch Listing (inc new 2017 route) - http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=949210

Also, relay team members please feel free to get involved with discussions :-)