Greater Manchester Marathon 2013

28 watchers
Apr 2013
6:34am, 16 Apr 2013
228 posts
  •  
simpleeeee
Just want to clarify my comments on the route.
Switchbacks at the start. My concern is simply about the whole field getting round the first of thes, at the 1m marker, without incident or delay. The second is just before 3m so hopefully the field will have sorted itself by then. Other mass participation events I've done that included sharp changes of direction employed a proper waved start system to spread the runners out a little - is that whats happening here?
Altrincham. The support at Altrincham last year was fantastic and a highlight for many. My understanding was that the organisers were seeking to maximise this by taking in the town centre twice, whilst addressing the concerns that some had raised about the Dunham Massey stretch. Personally, I thought the course last year was good, apart from perhaps the start / finish areas - offering a view of the diverse nature of Greater Manchester. Given that runners are in / out of Altrincham within half a mile I dont think the organisers have necessarily succeeded in this respect. Whether you prefer a straight out and back off a looped course to take Altrincham is a matter of personal preference - I would have preferred a circular route back and the variety this would offer, others disagree.
Apr 2013
9:22am, 16 Apr 2013
861 posts
  •  
Nelly
I certainly agree with you about last years course being both a good one, but also offering a good balance of both urban and rural. There was a stretch through Dunham Massey, that in hindsight shouldn't have been used due to the likelihood of flooding, but there are other ways into/out of Dunham that could be utilised. But I for one was disappointed the route was changed.

I can also understand your preference for a circular route. However, if you look at a map of Trafford, and recognising that Manchester City Council refused to support the race, then any loop to Altrincham would involve either using or crossing the A56. Give this is the main route into the city from the M6, then I think you can appreciate the issues associated with this.

Anyway, I was VERY jealous of all you runners this morning when I drove past all the advance warning signs of road closures for the marathon and now wish I was joining you on the day.
Apr 2013
9:47am, 16 Apr 2013
437 posts
  •  
mushroom
Rest day today.

Last night I was thinking 'What shall I do with the spare time I've got? I could fit a run in..'

Doh! :-)
Apr 2013
9:52am, 16 Apr 2013
10,291 posts
  •  
jennywren
I saw the road closure signs yesterday and got a little jolt of fear or excitement, not sure which!
Apr 2013
9:55am, 16 Apr 2013
762 posts
  •  
The Juicer
So much spare time............... what do we do with ourselves? :)

I did a Shred DVD this morning. Felt rubbish. My quads felt as strong as blancmange. I felt as fit as a couch potato. Anyone else suffering from taper madness?
Apr 2013
9:57am, 16 Apr 2013
10,292 posts
  •  
jennywren
We could spend our time arguing about what the route should be? ;) That would pass the time nicely :)
Apr 2013
10:00am, 16 Apr 2013
863 posts
  •  
Nelly
Maybe we argue about why Manchester City Council refuse to allow the organisers to pay to use their roads thus depriving the route of a more iconic route ;-)
Apr 2013
10:03am, 16 Apr 2013
10,293 posts
  •  
jennywren
That wouldn't be an argument (well, not with me anyway) :)
Apr 2013
10:05am, 16 Apr 2013
438 posts
  •  
mushroom
Have they ever gone public on that Nelly? They're obviously happy for some races to be in the city centre - Great Manc Run etc?
Apr 2013
10:08am, 16 Apr 2013
10,294 posts
  •  
jennywren
That's the only one they allow now though. There used to be several. I've always presumed they don't want the road closures because they cost too much but I don't know what its really about.

About This Thread

Maintained by WobblyBob
A place to talk about the Manchester Marathon - 28th April 2013

Our runners....

aileen156 (Sub 4:15)
Baldy Dave (Sub 3:38:26) - 2306 - Navy & yellow Leeds United vest (all the rage round Old Trafford) with Boston ribbon and shiny bald head.
Buzby123 (Sub 4:00)
Cybarev (Sub 5:00) - 4154, long sleeved blue shirt with Geoff written in white on front and cybarev on back, pained expression on face and blue trainers on feet!

Davelord (Sub 3:00) - 1018 - Trawden AC vest Black & white stripes and black shorts so I will look like the elite pacer that I am not. And neon green trainers number

hoipsen (To enjoy it) luminous yellow shirt with greenwich parkrun and hopi on it somewhere
Iris- ****, Long Eaton RC vest (navy & white) with LAURA on the front, bright pink trainers, annoying ponytail.
Irishmike (Sub 3:00) - 6374- blue (with orange band across the middle) glossopdale harrier vest with black shorts

jennywren (Sub 4:45) - 1758 - Green Sale Harriers vest, boring black trainers
Jopoweredbychoc (Sub 5:30)
LythamRUnner (Fetch official Sub 4:30 Pacer and Bus Driver)
mole-thing (Sub 4:00) - 4177 - Black Fetch shirt
Mrs SOD
mushroom (Sub 4:15) - 9064 - Yellow and green vest, with stunning purple trainers
Nickid - 1778 - I'll be wearing a green Kenilworth Runners vest with sadly uninspiring white trainers
ndellar (Sub 4:00) - 3599 - Red and White vest, Fetch Buff and pink trainers
Ninky Nonk - 7135 - fetch top, black shorts, orange trainers
plodding hippo
Psimon (Official Sub 3:15 Pacer)
RobertoM (Sub 3:10) - 6678 - Purple vest with yellow stripe, and clashing orange trainers
run-forest-run - 1236 - black Peel vest with yellow side stripe and black shorts
Scottydog1234 (Sub 4:00) - 9386 - Orange Barnsley Harriers vest and black shorts
Shortstuff (Sub 3:45)
Shred Betty (Sub 4:15) - 3676 - Maroon and white Lliswerry Runners vest, pigtails and Welsh Dragon Buff
SmileyBob (Sub 4:30) - 4463 Fetch vest, black shorts and boring white and blue trainers... but I like them!
The Juicer - 9493 - Todmorden Harriers vest
WarringtonRunner (sub 4:00)
XB (Sub 4:30) - 6427 - Fetch top, some shorts, socks and trainers. Whatever's clean.

Fetchpoint.....

Autumnleaves @ Brooklands Rd around the 9/16 mile mark

Manc Girl @ Brooklands Road roundabout with jelly babies/beans - 10m/15m point
SODIron & The SODette's
JK

Just wondering if there are any places going...... Max71.... can anyone help Max?