Greater Manchester Marathon 2012

56 watchers
Nov 2012
8:41am, 2 Nov 2012
295 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
Think I'm probably going to sign up for this one - did Milton Keynes last year (on the the same day) which also had issues, but at least Manchester sound like they're trying to put things right!
Nov 2012
9:21am, 2 Nov 2012
4,203 posts
  •  
sprouty76
Agree with Nelly - the only disaster was the weather. In terms of organisation, the major problem was the baggage tent being too small. But that only became an issue because more people were leaving stuff than usual, due to the weather and due to the free metrolink pass for the day - normally a lot more people would have driven and presumably left stuff in the car.

People were more desperate to get their stuff back again afterwards, again due to the weather so the situation got a bit panicky and out of control. Which in turn caused the cadets manning it to give up and go home, making it even worse.

Quite frankly, I'd have been perfectly happy to do the exact same course again with a bigger baggage tent on hard standing ground. The chances of getting weather like that again are slim to none. But because the course became an issue on the day, they've changed it (for the worse, in my opinion)
Nov 2012
9:55am, 2 Nov 2012
574 posts
  •  
Nelly
I certainly agree with your last paragraph sprouty, and in particular the brackets at the end of it. Just out of interest, on Wednesday night I ran along the country road down to Dunham Massey that was ankle deep in places on race day, and despite all the rain we've had recently, there was nothing more than the odd puddle.
Nov 2012
10:41am, 2 Nov 2012
10,184 posts
  •  
jono82
That is surprising nelly, shows how bad it was.
Nov 2012
11:18am, 2 Nov 2012
6,702 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
I really enjoyed this marathon, despite the rain. I'd do it again :-) Pity the route has been changed.
Nov 2012
1:07pm, 2 Nov 2012
296 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
TBH I would have hated MK even if it had been dry and without the other issues! At least we got to run a whole marathon that weekend, not like those that entered Stratford! ;)
Nov 2012
7:03pm, 10 Nov 2012
85 posts
  •  
davelord
Just entered this for 2013, with £5 discount from voucher code MEN5
Nov 2012
9:06am, 14 Nov 2012
297 posts
  •  
Shred Betty
Thanks for the code davelord - just entered! :o)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
WELL DONE TO ALL MANCHESTER MARATHONERS

ORRID WEATHER BUT SOME GREAT PERFORMANCES

greatermanchestermarathon.com

Battlecat - 3452 Red Fetch t-shirt and a swishy bastard ponytail

blunderwoman - 8276
clairster - 9248, black & orange 26 extreme top and fetch ribbons in hair
DeliH -3454 - Not sure what I am wearing yet
GimmeMedals - 10342, I think Fetch tshirt but it might be something with long sleeves if it's going to be sleety. Fetch buff on head
jennywren - 8303 Sale Harriers green vest with red & white thin stripes. And a mac. And a sou'wester
monsenb1 - 3340
MST - 1513 - black sleeves, white shirt, glum expression
ndellar 3755 - Red t shirt with 2 white hoops, blue hairband and probably a pained expression
Plodding Hippo - 7044
Sprouty76 - 1576
TW - 1491 - Fetch vest
Wingy - 3620 - thinking swishy bastard ponytail
XB - 6401 Fetch top
Jono - Fetch Top
Vicir - 5496 - Black and yellow Peel Road Runners vest (I'll be the only one wearing one!)