Great Yarmouth Marathon

9 watchers
Sep 2012
1:15pm, 25 Sep 2012
6,782 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Afternoon all. Also doing this and can confirm the wind can be, er, lively. Have done the 5 mile series on the Promenade, and the half marathon a couple of times and they've been great races. Think each time I've done the half both me and the OH landed PB's, so hoping that continues....

No idea what to expect as this is a little late season hit out 5 weeks after my main race (Ironman Wales), so a careful balance between recovery, taper and slotting in some speed work and a couple of long runs.

A good day should see something around 3:15....
Sep 2012
1:17pm, 25 Sep 2012
6,783 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Oh and how did you get on with the Ipswich Half Mouseytongue? I enjoyed it with a nice 1:27:44, glad it was over before that apocalyptic rain hit.....
Sep 2012
2:29pm, 25 Sep 2012
25 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
Not too bad, TRO. Managed 1:42:39, a P.B., and hoping for 3:50 or better at Yarmouth. Thanks for the tip re wind, will def wear a LS base layer under club vest! Well done on the 1:27.
Oct 2012
2:16pm, 4 Oct 2012
1,606 posts
  •  
peachy
Hi all I'm doing the lead bike for the marathon so if you see me come and say hi .
Oct 2012
10:27am, 11 Oct 2012
11 posts
  •  
SurferRich
only if I can get in your slipstream Peachy !!!
Oct 2012
10:50am, 15 Oct 2012
6,841 posts
  •  
TRO Saracen
Nearly here :-)

How is everyone?

Anyone dare make a prediction. I'll be after a 3:15, not 100% happy with preparations (couple of long runs short) but hoping most of the Pre Ironman base will carry me through.
Last key session was last Wednesday - 9 miles easy, 9 miles marathon pace, 1 mile cool down. This ended up harder and more gruelling than I;d hoped and I fell slightly off target pace for the 9 marathon paced miles, hence a slight air of pessimism. Hoping that session will bring me on a bit, plus the usual taper/race day adrenaline etc.

Checked 3 long range weather forecasts, one said rain all day, another a lovely partly sunny 18 deg, the third splitting the difference. Anyone's guess...

Good luck with taper...
Oct 2012
10:14am, 16 Oct 2012
4 posts
  •  
chimpy
Will be my first marathon having missed out on VLM a couple of times and not having the inclination to try another until now. Anything sub 3:40 and I'll be happy, here's to a wind free day so to speak. Good luck all.
Oct 2012
8:57am, 17 Oct 2012
294 posts
  •  
Roma
Anyone know the best place to park for this? I could be a while so a short stay may not be suitable :/ I have the list from GYRR but it will require some research!!
Oct 2012
9:29am, 17 Oct 2012
31 posts
  •  
Mouseytongue
Hi Roma,

The only free car park is the Market Place one (NR30 1LX), but you will have to display the GYRR logo printout in your windscreen (should have been emailed to you). Other car parks are listed here - http://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/visitor-information/thedms.aspx?dms=11&itemtype=29&msg=Parking, but you will have to pay and display. If you need a copy of the logo, fmail me or email Andy Peck of the Road Runners - londoncanary [at] hotmail [dot] com. Best of luck with the race.
Oct 2012
9:37am, 17 Oct 2012
16 posts
  •  
SurferRich
Hi all, well thats it, all training done and now tapering with feet up... I too checked weather and it looks like a mixed bag so I guess its a look out of the window in the morning job!!
Hoping and aiming for sub 4hr which i would be delighted with, but we shall see on the day...
good luck all

About This Thread

Maintained by Geoff new
This looks intresting, a one off Marathon that is flat