Great South Run October 2011

22 watchers
Oct 2011
7:12pm, 30 Oct 2011
14,589 posts
  •  
Mick n Phil ( The old Timers )
PB's & PW's are like everything else - all on the day

the winner went out looking for it and see what happened - and he knew well before the finish exactly what he did wrong as well

he could of done it as well, but of course that mad start destroyed it
Oct 2011
7:15pm, 30 Oct 2011
7,966 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
yup....my lack of training...legs felt heavy this morning...maybe too many pastries at the hotel for breakfast....most likely to do with lack of training....and I had to stop at certain points to catch my breath as I was having trouble getting deep breaths in due to asthma
Oct 2011
7:24pm, 30 Oct 2011
40 posts
  •  
ladyemruns
My first 'proper' race and very happy with my time. I was ill for the whole of August and Sept so my training went completely t*ts up and was almost non existent. Well done to everyone - I didn't see any Fetch tops at all (but then I had a BHF one on)......
Oct 2011
7:25pm, 30 Oct 2011
103 posts
  •  
Clatters
That was me outside the MacMillan tent !! Thanks to the Fetchie who patted my back as I had a mini mental breakdown and did some walking at 6.5 miles! Also Hi to Tony D who I met by my car at the end !! Great course as always, but lack of training let me down big stylee ! Same time next year ?!
Oct 2011
9:45pm, 30 Oct 2011
3,118 posts
  •  
Nywanda
I have photays of lots of Fetchies, well, my husband does.I'll post a link to photobucket in due course.

Mykey EXCELLENT! I shoulda run with you after all! I found the congestion a tad frustrating and a little scary at times- plenty heel clipping and running with arms out to pre-empt any falling. Mile 7 and 8 were slow for me. It seemed really warm and I took some time getting going after the run in shower (heavenly) and last water stop. Wish I could have stuck around longer afterwards. I ate about 3 times my bodyweight which was great ;-)

Typical queasy jet style....barely made the gate and then they stood us around for another 20 mins :-O Bakc in Scotland and it's....warm!! Taken the weather home with us. Cheers everyone.

Would def consider this again next year.
Oct 2011
6:50am, 31 Oct 2011
7,967 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
You can already enter for next year online if you liked the run so much Nywanda. :-)
Oct 2011
8:12am, 31 Oct 2011
672 posts
  •  
Kimbles67
Oooohhhh is it open already?????
Oct 2011
8:36am, 31 Oct 2011
3,122 posts
  •  
Nywanda
Thanks Ocenaspirit, but nah, I'll wait til nearer the time and go for a charity place like this year. You never know what can happen over the next few months. I may take up track ;-)
Oct 2011
8:46am, 31 Oct 2011
10,997 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
Saw a few fetchies on my run yesterday, well done everyone it was a great race, and for me particularly, I ran with a friend who hadnt trained so we took it nice and easy which suited me perfectly as i kept darting off to take pictures of the sights along the way and capture the race atmosphere then sprinting to catch him up again. That was my last GSR so I was determined to make the most of it which I did. My frind Simon called me the running tourist!
Oct 2011
11:33pm, 31 Oct 2011
259 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Hi all. Just back in Scotland. Had a great race on Sunday. Was going for a 1:30-1:35 and came in at 1:32:32 so almost bang in between, so made up with that, particularly having an achilles niggle which was a slight concern :-) I did find the race tough though, not sure why. I found it really difficult to settle down into a rhythm. Found it tougher than a Half Mara for some reason (found this bizarre as the course was very flat as well). Maybe because it was my first 10 miler. Weather was warm and the head wind at the end wasn't easy but not too bad - not as bad as Edinburgh Mara anyway.

Nice to meet Oceanspirit at the start and end. Unfortunately didn't see any other Fetchies, although a guy ran past me during the race and shouted Fetchie at me. Not sure who he was but I think he had a blue Portsmouth vest on.

Found it a bit crowded at times especially at the start and it took a while to get through the crowds. Also got whacked in the face by an enthusiastic Magnus Pike impersonator.

Well done everyone. It's a race I would like to do again. Would be nice to organise a pre-race meal or post race get together next time :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hey, looks like there are loads of Fetchies at Great South this year. Hoping to bump into as many of...