Great Scottish Run 10k & Half Marathon

5 watchers
Oct 2013
8:52am, 7 Oct 2013
206 posts
  •  
CamBear
Generally thought it was positive, I didn't miss the hilsl in Pollock Park and running past iconic buildings like Ibrox and the Hydro gave me a lift. Running along the expressway was a bit of a struggle but the last couple of miles along the Broomielaw were busy and well supported.
Oct 2013
9:27am, 7 Oct 2013
7,404 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
The new course loked quite good on the tellybox. I might do it next year
Oct 2013
9:31am, 7 Oct 2013
3,365 posts
  •  
daviec
I enjoyed it. Didn't mind the old route either, but it's a fairly fast course now.
Oct 2013
10:08am, 7 Oct 2013
6,068 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I didnt even notice Ibrox - must have been focused on my running I missed all these landmarks as it just felt to me like I was on back streets or the M8 !!!
Oct 2013
10:10am, 7 Oct 2013
2 posts
  •  
Stig-OT-Dump
I always liked the run through Pollok Park, but if they had kept that bit in, I wouldn't have seen any of the elite men running back into town after Bellahouston, and I even managed to catch a glimpse of a couple of the elite women as I came off Squinty Bridge and they went onto Broomielaw. It is one thing to know you are at the same event as someone like Haile - but to see him in full tilt is something else. I'm glad they changed it.
Oct 2013
10:21am, 7 Oct 2013
5,884 posts
  •  
LouLou
That's a very valid point Stig - its not often you get to see them pass you - particularly not on a point to point course and on the TV you could see the enthusiasm of peope when they saw wee Haille run past!

Bazo - some places are best ignored ;)
Oct 2013
12:10pm, 7 Oct 2013
39 posts
  •  
Chalky87
I thought the course for the half marathon was cracking this year. A fast course for sure. As always, St vincents Str was a dog and the slipway to the kingston bridge all had to be taken at somethign of a half trot, but after that nice and flat, no severe hills or turns in the first half. Through the park at Bellahouston was good but narrowed significantly after the water stop at one point where i almost got cut off on a corner!

I understand what people mean about the out and back on Paisley Rd West, but I didnt mind, meant that when I came out of the park I knew where the mile markers were for my gels strategy, plus got to cheer on haile gebrselassie as he ran past.

Great support at the Clyde Arc too, but yeah once you're away from that, the support dies untils you get to the Transport Museum, where you've got that wee hill up the slip road, but by then my legs where pumping, I was on for a decent time, and I had a wee girl in green who was taking me to a decent time up that hill and round the museum. I didnt notice the expressway too much, but again no support along the way. I had other problems as my second gel pouch EXPLODED IN MY FACE as i opened it, coming down the slip way. spent most of the expressway trying to clear myself up and keep pace with the girl in green, who stormed away from me.

Once you get onto clydeside however, that was fantastic. Back past the Arc, support still strong and then along under the kingston bridge and even though thats when i started to feel muself struggle, it was flat, good space and plenty of support with 1 km to go. Powered up the road, hill Glasgow Green, went under the archway and.......... the finish line was still bloody miles away!!!!! but you could see it. that was tough. mentally i had spent myself powering towards the green, then another 500m til the finish.

official time - 1hr 29mins 59sec! I am now the proud owner of a Sub (just!) 90min half mara time.

congrats to everyone that made it round. I thought it was a fantastic day. and we got to race with a living legend!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by -Ruthie-
Hello... was just wondering what runners in today's Great Scottish Run 10k & Half Marathon thought ...