Great Run Local thread?

1 watcher
Nov 2016
12:40pm, 16 Nov 2016
1,283 posts
  •  
larkim
I know they are not quite of parkrun's stature, surprised though there isn't a thread dedicated to them and their progression.

Not that I've actually done one, but there is one in my "ancestral" home town which I should do at some point.
Nov 2016
12:49pm, 16 Nov 2016
3,621 posts
  •  
Nelly
larkim - I'm fairly sure I've seen Great Run Local being discussed of Fetch in the last 6-12months, but the only specific thread I can find (http://www.fetcheveryone.com/forum__53323__1__parkrun_vs_nova_internatiomal) is over 3-years old.

My closest parkrun and Great Run Local are both in the same park... but I've only ever ran the parkrun.
Nov 2016
1:14pm, 16 Nov 2016
1,284 posts
  •  
larkim
I wonder if the great run locals are less well enthused about by fetchies compared to the warm and cosy feeling most of us have about parkrun?
Nov 2016
2:07pm, 16 Nov 2016
12,486 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I think it's more that hardly any Fetchies have ever been to one. I can think of one enthusiast at Glasgow and maybe three more who have attended at all. I have a wristband, but have never been.

They do seem to be the neglected child of the Great Run organisation, I'm surprised that they haven't done at least a little more with them. I wonder if, with Great Run starting events in more places, they might piggyback off those? Stirling, for example, will have a Great Run marathon next year, biut the nearest parkrun is around twelve miles away.
Nov 2016
2:19pm, 16 Nov 2016
5,926 posts
  •  
The_Saint
One could be forgiven for scepticism of the motives given what they charge for their headline events.
Nov 2016
3:21pm, 16 Nov 2016
518 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Is there any grounds to the theory that Birmingham is relatively underserved by parkruns (meaning huge numbers at each) because the council decided to buddy up with Great Run Local?
Nov 2016
3:23pm, 16 Nov 2016
519 posts
  •  
CharlieP
Sorry, that's not very good English, is it? :(

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
I know they are not quite of parkrun's stature, surprised though there isn't a thread dedicated to...