Great North Run 2013

27 watchers
Nov 2013
9:14am, 29 Nov 2013
1,111 posts
  •  
Squares
Got my membership email through... Is it worth it? I usually enter through work and fundraise but that gets harder each year, the novelty of me running has worn off!
Nov 2013
9:25am, 29 Nov 2013
2,910 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I've signed up, but that's because I really want to run it next year after taking a year off and don't want to go through the uncertainty of the ballot. Fortunately I'm in a position where I can afford to pay for that privilege. But I gulped at the cost.
Nov 2013
9:32am, 29 Nov 2013
3,980 posts
  •  
Kimbles
I was going to run it again next year but I have done it twice now. I want to do the Paras10 which is the previous week so may just give it a miss. The price for the race and the associated costs is getting a bit naughty as well :-(
Nov 2013
10:57am, 29 Nov 2013
340 posts
  •  
Dodgem
I've just joined again but was also shocked at the price. It's a bit of a family event now though so didn't want to miss out.
Nov 2013
12:33pm, 29 Nov 2013
5,309 posts
  •  
becca7
It clashes with my club's ten mile race next year so I will be doing that instead.
Nov 2013
1:27pm, 29 Nov 2013
2,912 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
There's always a lot said about the price of this run, and I've no doubt it makes money for Nova International. But when you think of the organisation in terms of closed roads, policing, marshaling, set up and close down, goodie bags, admin and everything else, there's a lot involved and that does cost money.

I guess I come at it from a triathlon perspective too, where individual events are more expensive because of the cost of covering such things. The Newcastle triathlon for example was £60, but I understand that because there will have to be lots of safety cover in the water and closed roads in the city. I could (and do) opt to do cheaper tris, but sometimes it's about being at THAT event.

There are cheaper half marathons, but for me it's about the experience. And I'm lucky in that it's local so I don't have to add on top accommodation and travel.
Nov 2013
1:52pm, 29 Nov 2013
5,310 posts
  •  
becca7
The cost of accommodation can be significant and all, including travel, the costs have certainly added up in the three times that I have done this race but I have always considered it to be worth it.
Nov 2013
2:16pm, 29 Nov 2013
2,913 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I'll be sorry to miss the chance of seeing you at the finish next year Becca, but enjoy your club 10 miler.

One day I will travel to do a big race!
Nov 2013
2:24pm, 29 Nov 2013
5,311 posts
  •  
becca7
Thanks Scribs. I'm sorry to be missing it. The club race is rather hilly so I'm not sure that enjoyment will be the case.
Nov 2013
5:25pm, 30 Nov 2013
2,606 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I'm going to take my chance in the ballott. If you could pay membership now and entry fee in January I'd probably join but just cant afford the full £96 now - or rather I have other stuff I would rather spend it on ie Christmas pressies. Will take my chances in January. I have got in the last 2 years in the Telegraph pre ballott ballott so will go for that again..

About This Thread

Maintained by Pinkliverbird
Had my priority members email last week. Going to enter as I love this race and we always stay a few...