Great Fetchie hive mind - imaginative help needed

2 watchers
Aug 2020
8:27pm, 3 Aug 2020
20,381 posts
  •  
Dvorak
(Oh right, you've covered Treasure Hunt. I did read, just not pay attention :-p.

Some kind of cryptic (ish) clue to street names thing where they have to find and photograph a street sign at the location. Or similar, but with beer pint
Aug 2020
11:18pm, 3 Aug 2020
18,062 posts
  •  
Chrisity
Spell out their team name with first letters of street signs (or consecutive letters in signs)

Spell out ROYGBIV with objects whose first letter matches the colour eg Red rose, Violet van, Indigo ink.

Collect all the letters of the alphabet from names of shops

Find 10 numbers that add up to 1000 (one number max per object so can't just use pages of a book)

(photographic evidence needed)
Aug 2020
8:48am, 4 Aug 2020
5,938 posts
  •  
Raemond
More excellent ideas! Thank you all!

NWOBM - yes, definitely, but probably not a whole round. I'll make one of the team names be an album title or something. I want to make it as inclusive as possible of different interests and backgrounds so I can't weight it too heavily to my own preferences

Cryptic clues - yes. definitely, love it. Could be to locations or maybe combine it with the number finding thing, say, have equations like 'the total number of gifts given in the 12 days of Christmas divided by the horsemen of the apocalypse' and they have to take pictures to make the answer.

Similarly the spelling words with images, love that idea. I could think of words relevant to our work, because my team are also a bunch of massive geeks and would enjoy that.

I'm thinking the list would be so long it would be impossible to get everything, and items will have different point values, so they will have to confer and decide how to try and get the most points in the available time. That way, also, if I don't have enough remote participants for each team to have one then it won't put them at an unfair disadvantage.
Aug 2020
8:51am, 4 Aug 2020
18,168 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
You could have each team do a different task (chosen at random) and then they have to explain to the other what the task was and how they completed it
Aug 2020
2:36pm, 4 Aug 2020
66,487 posts
  •  
swittle
A simple suggestion related to the EU: name - or sketch - a selection of flags of EU nations.
Sep 2020
8:40am, 14 Sep 2020
6,197 posts
  •  
Raemond
OK Hive mind, many thanks for your ideas! this is what I've finally come up with for my team building scavenger hunt event - covid and other work related type considerations have meant that the whole afternoon plan has changed quite a lot, but hopefully they'll still have a lot of fun with it.

Trecofin team building scavenger hunt
The items you have to find fall into five categories – the first four categories have 10 items each, you get 1 point for each of these items you find (the last category has 5 items and 2 points each), if you get every item in a category you get a bonus 10 points. The theoretical maximum score is, therefore, 100. I do not expect any team to get every item from every category within the time limit, so it’s up to each team to decide how they want to prioritise the items.

Only the remote team members should be using internet search engines (this is obviously impossible to enforce, but I trust you all to stick to the spirit of the thing).

There is a pause between 15:00 and 16:00 for those who wish to attend the L&D session, we expect all scavenging to stop during this time even if you are not attending the session to avoid giving anyone an unfair advantage. Again, it’s not easy to enforce, so I’m relying on your honour and sense of fair play.

Items are ‘found’ by a member of the team adding a picture of them to the Team building part 2a Teams meeting, either in the chat or the files. Even if you think it’s obvious which item a picture is please name it in some way to make my life easier in the scoring.

The natural world
• One conker for every team member
• A non-domestic animal
• 5 different kinds of leaf
• 3 different kinds of flower
• An invertebrate
• Seeds
• A climbing plant
• A shrubbery
• Weather
• A reflection in water

The human made world
• A street named after a woman
• A statue not of an old/dead white man
• An interesting door
• A non EU or UK flag
• Street art/graffiti
• An odd clock
• A yellow car
• A place of worship
• A ‘found text’ poem (this is a poem composed using words you find around you. There is no maximum length for this poem, it can be an original poem or one already written, there is a minimum length of 12 words).
• Fire!

(Un)Popular culture: The items in this category are abstract prompts (some a lot more abstract than others), you must find an image that represents each one. I will accept almost any reason you want to give for why the image in question represents the prompt, as long as you do have a reason. To give you an example, I ended up not using ‘Gilbert and Sullivan’ as one of the items, but if I had then you might go to a shop and get a picture of some Mikado chocolately snack stick things (or I might go out for a walk here and find an oily cart).

• A Disney Princess
• Trilogy
• Harry Potter
• Latin!
• Football
• Brit Pop
• Hip Hop
• NWOBHM
• Comic book/cartoon
• Shakespear

Cryptic equations: For these items you must take a picture of the answer to the equation, having first worked out what each of the numbers are. A worked example (no need to get a picture of this one) would be

the number of Musketeers in the title of the novel by Alexandre Dumas X the episode number of the first Star Wars film to be released =

Three Musketeers X episode IV = 12, so need you take a picture of the number 12. Simples.

• Stars on the EU flag X Number of Home Nations in the UK =
• Die Hard films + players on a Rugby League team =
• Official languages of the EU ÷ Official languages in Belgium =
• Section pages on the UKMis intranet = (not an equation, I just want to make you look it up)
• √ days of Christmas – a baker’s dozen =
• Years between the stonewall riots and the release of the first Batman film =
• % of vote required not to lose your deposit in a UK general election + whole miles in a marathon =
• Squares on a Scrabble board – the answer to the ultimate question =
• Average number of adult human teeth + syllables in a Haiku =
• Bits in a Byte – number of competitors left at the quarter final stage of a knockout competition =

The final category is POSE!: For this category we are looking for self-created realness. The team must use their creativity (plus any props or photoshop skills they have available) to recreate famous images (or not so famous ones, but I may need you to share a picture of the originals so I can tell if it’s a faithful recreation) for the first three, or make something new for the last two. Each item in this category is worth two points to reflect the fact that will probably take more effort than items from the other categories.
• An album cover (not that one)
• Film poster
• Famous painting
• A picture of your whole team
• Art made with found objects

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Raemondo
I'm trying to plan a team building/bonding programme for my team at work, and I thought there a...