Great Birmingham Run

2 watchers
Oct 2013
11:30pm, 15 Oct 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
whiteinch whippet
This will be my first ever race in Brum where I was born and brought, so really looking forward to it. What's the course like, are there any hellish hills? Any tips or advice gratefully accepted.
Oct 2013
11:55pm, 15 Oct 2013
679 posts
  •  
One Pace Carl
A great event and got better since Bupa took it over in recent years, this will be my 6th Birmingham half having done every one. Course is fairly flat, maybe a little undulating in places, till 11.5 miles with an up hill. The support is great and I'm sure you will enjoy the event. :-)
Oct 2013
11:56pm, 15 Oct 2013
680 posts
  •  
One Pace Carl
Forgot to say, welcome to Fetch :-)
Oct 2013
7:55am, 16 Oct 2013
269 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Drags up into Bournville at halfway, then is interminably uphill from just after McDonalds on the Bristol Road to Spearmint Rhino on the Hagley Road (this bit goes on forever!) then downhill to the line.
Oct 2013
12:03pm, 16 Oct 2013
146 posts
  •  
mrsdistraction
It's going to be my first Birmingham half as well. I did a long run along most of the course the other week - there's an uphill on Bournville Lane past the choccie factory, which is slow and gradual but very definitely up hill. There's a steeper bit on Linden Road as you head up to Mary Vale Road, but that's a short stretch, then it's downhill and flat back to the city centre. I'm not looking forward to the 11.5 mile point with the uphill bit, but if I have to walk then so be it. :)
Oct 2013
10:14am, 21 Oct 2013
2,339 posts
  •  
Q Mac
Really enjoyed this one, extremely well organised. Baggage area better than London. Goody bag interesting. I reckon the Half Marathon organisers have got together to give away a complete overnight kit (Birmingham - toothpaste, Gloucester - Toothbrush, Southend - Face towel) !!!! Ran with my detachment of 10.
Oct 2013
12:11pm, 21 Oct 2013
4 posts
  •  
Puma
Really enjoyed the race, saw David Weir after he withdrew, don't think anyone else around me recognised him, I count him as a celeb.

Went into it hoping for a 1:48 ish time, clocked a 1:41.58 with a last mile of 6.49. This isn't the norm for me, hardly done any training. No idea where it came from. Haha :-)

Hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did?
Oct 2013
12:20pm, 21 Oct 2013
373 posts
  •  
pdavey
the course was slightly different to last year, didn't enjoy the extra hill at around 4/5 miles but the finish was better without having to loop back on yourself.

ran a pb but found it tough in the wind.
SPR
Oct 2013
12:36pm, 21 Oct 2013
18,812 posts
  •  
SPR
Where was the climb PD? Mary Vale Road (By Cadbury's)?

I watched in three locations. My final spot was 800m from the finish, it was fun getting those that had stopped to walk to pick it up for the finish (names were on numbers so it was easy to direct 'abuse' at them personally, lol).
Oct 2013
2:18pm, 21 Oct 2013
148 posts
  •  
mrsdistraction
I think the climb PD is referring to was before Mary Vale Road, a sudden right turn off Pershore Road up towards the convent! I wasn't expecting that and I certainly didn't enjoy that bit. I struggled a fair bit after that hill, but as it's my first half marathon I'm just very pleased I finished it. My feet are killing me today.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
This will be my first ever race in Brum where I was born and brought, so really looking forward to i...