Graphing average pace smoothly

5 watchers
Oct 2015
5:06pm, 6 Oct 2015
262 posts
  •  
larkim
It occurs to me that one graph which is seemingly missed from every running website is a proper rolling average of your average pace - effectively a straight duplication of that read-out which we all (?) use on our watches / phones which shows the "avg pace" or similar.

I know you can smooth out the pace graphs here on fetch (and I think that feature is brilliant, and can't understand why other providers insist on give you a jaggy, meaningless graph which leaps around from 7m15 pace to 8m20 pace down to 6m40 pace over an apparently flat 100m stretch), but I'd like to see the rolling average pace displayed - it's a straightforward calc (isn't it) - cumulative distance over cumulative time?

For reviewing race performance, I find it interesting to see how (little) a 7m30 mile at mile 12 of a half makes if the rest has been run at paces in the 7m00 to 7m10 pace (for example).

Or is it just me that wants to see this?
Oct 2015
5:07pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,526 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Let me do you a screenshot of what I'm working on :-)
Oct 2015
5:15pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,527 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
On the current version, underneath the map, click the word 'Avge' - that turns on the line that I think you're wanting.

Here's the updated version that I'm working on:

Rather than just arbitrary 'roughing' and 'smoothing', the new version works by allowing you to sample over a set time or distance e.g. 10 seconds, 100 metres. The current system doesn't really cope well with runs and rides of varying lengths - but this approach should allow the system to pick some sensible defaults.

Anyway... the dashed line on the screenshot gives you your overall average pace - it's taken from my VLM run - so you can see the point where I started falling below my average.

As an aside, you should also be able to see the HR graph, complete with colour changes for the different zones - I'm aiming at making these entirely customisable.

The boxes on the left will eventually contain the summary data similar to that which you can currently see in the 'pace bands', 'hr bands' graphs on the current version.

(Ignore the crappy formatting down the left - I haven't got round to that bit)
Oct 2015
5:24pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,529 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
First sentence should read 'underneath the graph', not 'underneath the map'.
Oct 2015
5:29pm, 6 Oct 2015
19,986 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I love the "average pace where you are on your run/ride" graph

Is there any way of switching off the fact that it also takes into account time when you are stopped.
For example - I may be averaging, say, 17mph as far as a café stop, but while I'm there, the graph continues to calculate distance/time, where distance isn't changing - so after my coffee and cake the average is down to (say) 14mph.
If the remainder of the ride is also ridden at 17mph, the Average Speed Graph suggests that I'm getting quicker but I'm not!

I'm only interested in what my average speed is *while* I'm riding, especially on training rides (events are a bit different and the way it is at the moment works perfectly!), and the glitch at the moment is that my riding average speed (the one I see on my Garmin) and the dotted line average at the end of the ride are quite different when there is a stop involved.

And us bikists like our café stops ;)
Oct 2015
5:35pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,530 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
LB - can you send me a cake-break FIT file so I can see how I might deal with it?
Oct 2015
5:38pm, 6 Oct 2015
19,987 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Will do
Oct 2015
5:39pm, 6 Oct 2015
16,531 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
And cake too. Send cake.
Oct 2015
5:50pm, 6 Oct 2015
19,988 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
FIT file away.

Now that cake.

"WIIIIIIIIIIIFE! Where's all that cake gone??"
Oct 2015
8:22pm, 6 Oct 2015
664 posts
  •  
westmoors
Mr Fetch, whilst you're twiddling, can you fix it so that the scale of the pace graph actually displays the data? I have a lot of walking logged which is slower than 12 min/mi maximum currently being used. Ta :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
It occurs to me that one graph which is seemingly missed from every running website is a proper roll...