GPS Watch Update 2015 Thread

14 watchers
Nov 2015
9:16am, 9 Nov 2015
2,771 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
I know that "which watch should i buy" is a perennial thread title, but with new products being introduced all the time, an update is probably due. My venerable 310XT has finally, after 6 years, decided it does not want to talk to satellites any more. Assuming I can't fix it, what should I get?

Requirements are the same as my reasons for getting the 310XT originally. I wanted something waterproof (so I can use it for canoeing as well) and with decent battery life. Don't want to rely on it for navigation. Don't really need lots of bells and whistles like sophisticated training plans/altimeters, etc and trying to avoid eye-watering costs, but like the idea of sticking with Garmin as I like the "connect" software and, of course, Garmins work well with FE.

The Fenix 3 and 920XT seem very expensive - are they worth the money? Thinking about getting a 910XT or even another 310XT because these more dated models seem a lot cheaper. Good idea? Bad idea?
Nov 2015
12:23pm, 9 Nov 2015
2,772 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
*tumbleweed*
Nov 2015
12:32pm, 9 Nov 2015
785 posts
  •  
Jubear
Good crop of tumbleweed there, Bru-Bru.

I'll watch this thread too as my GPS watches have regular spells of poor health ;-)

As an aside I have canoed and capsized quite happily in my splash-proof Forerunner 205 & 305 with no ill effects (at least, no ill effects unless you consider the above para... but I'm sure the odd sea-dunking has nothing to do with it)
Nov 2015
12:51pm, 9 Nov 2015
404 posts
  •  
Warton Runner
My Garmin 305 is starting to play up, I.e turning its self off when I'm running, and now will not download any of my runs, so looking at buying the 310XT, I do like the 305 look & feel, so I'm hoping the 310XT Has the same features & look as my ols 305.
Nov 2015
1:30pm, 9 Nov 2015
17,952 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Fenix 2 is very good (as good as a 310XT) but currently dirt cheap.
Fenix 3 has more bells and whistles, don't know if they are needed.
Nov 2015
1:45pm, 9 Nov 2015
3,566 posts
  •  
Lalli
I have a Suunto Ambit 2S, which does cycling, running and swimming (both open water and pool).

It picks up Satellites quickly, has great battery lasting power and is accurate. I've been really pleased with mine and I've had a few Garmins. You can pick a Suunto Ambit 2S up for about £165 on Wiggle or Amazon.
Nov 2015
1:46pm, 9 Nov 2015
1,487 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
If you don't want navigation, and all the bells and whistles, then Fenix3 and 920XT shouldn't really be in your list, as these are the at the top end of the Garmin range.

Do you want step counting ?

Do you want optical heart rate monitoring ?

Do you want to know your cadence, vertical oscillation, etc ?

Do you want a "smartwatch", ie text, email, facebook notifications on the watch ?

More and more of the new Garmin watches are coming with a lot of these features now, if you don't want them you can pick up older models pretty cheaply.

How many hours would you define as "decent battery life" - if you want over 10 hours then this will limit the number of suitable watches
Nov 2015
3:18pm, 9 Nov 2015
3,879 posts
  •  
RunningBob
I've had a £65 Tomtom Runner since April. I just use it to trace run routes, distance and upload on Strava. It doesn't do much else. But the core features like fast satellite, long battery, big numbers, easy controls, easy upload, a strap that hasn't broken, waterproof - it does all of these better than Garmins costing £300+. With a parkrun discount they are still £65ish on Sweatshop.
Nov 2015
3:30pm, 9 Nov 2015
183 posts
  •  
redpanda
if decent battery life means 10+ hours, what's the recommendation for a basic watch, with distance and elevation tracking?
Nov 2015
4:58pm, 9 Nov 2015
6,974 posts
  •  
simbil
This chap does good reviews and has a nice comparison tool here: dcrainmaker.com

About This Thread

Maintained by Bru-Bru
I know that "which watch should i buy" is a perennial thread title, but with new products being in...