Government Careers Quiz

19 watchers
Oct 2020
11:56pm, 8 Oct 2020
6,903 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
On answering the three extra quezzies for Emergency and Uniform Services, apparently I would be best suited to:

1. Paramedic
2. Soldier (hell would have to freeze over first)
3. Security manager
Oct 2020
12:31am, 9 Oct 2020
19,839 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
After I told it I strongly dislike working with numbers it said

you like dealing with complicated problems or working with numbers

and recommended social care.
Oct 2020
12:42am, 9 Oct 2020
11,814 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
This will be part of the justification for when they want to cut Jobcentre staff or citizen's advice people or similar - 'people don't need in-person support about careers because look, it's all online, isn't it wonderful?'

To which the answer is no, it's completely useless and a huge waste of money. I remember doing something similar to this at school and it gave me better answers.

Good careers advice requires an understand of the person, what drives them and what interests and a big dose of understaning the psychology of the person.

Which is why school careers advice is also a complete waste of time the way it was done when I did it (it might now have changed...)

So, yes, it's funny to sit and do it and laugh at the results, but most of us already have jobs and are at least somewhat financially secure.

But to me this is extremely also very worrying - Is this really supposed to be serious advice for people??
Oct 2020
12:43am, 9 Oct 2020
11,815 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
[sorry politics thread getting transposed again...I'm going away now]
Oct 2020
5:53am, 9 Oct 2020
18,164 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
This was fun!
Sports professional
Boxer
Royal Marines Officer
Prison governor
Brewery worker
Microbrewer
Higher education lecturer
BSL teacher
Cake decorator
Head chef

I like that I should go straight for the top job in a number of professions 😁
Oct 2020
6:07am, 9 Oct 2020
1,813 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
Fozzy, I had very similar thoughts
Oct 2020
6:16am, 9 Oct 2020
769 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Who is this actually aimed at though? I mean, a lot of the roles it is suggesting require a minimum of degree level education, plus experience.
Looking at GimmeMedals, my BSL teacher when I did it as an evening course, was deaf (most of them were)...
Oct 2020
6:42am, 9 Oct 2020
183 posts
  •  
gribb0
Ornithologist :-)
Oct 2020
6:47am, 9 Oct 2020
2,378 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Chemical plant processing operator 🤣🤣🤣

After 9 years working with children in SEN I 've returned to law and am a legal adviser in a Magistrates' court! I left school with no science o-levels! I failed physics and hated chemistry! I imagine I would be allergic to everything in a chemical plant and have an attention span of about 20 seconds on a good day! Probably not cut out to operate machinery 🤣
Oct 2020
7:08am, 9 Oct 2020
1,815 posts
  •  
BarefootEm
I find it strange it didn't ask anything about qualifications!

I have a degree in Deaf Studies and a teaching qualification, I actually could be a BSL teacher... Although as Sam says, most are Deaf 🙂

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've just read an article about some of the dumb suggestions that the beta government questionn...