Got a cough, just when i need to step up training :(

0 watcher
Jun 2011
2:22pm, 12 Jun 2011
1,084 posts
  •  
Lyns
i've got a race on friday 1st july.

i haven't run much lately due to crazy stressed out time at work leading to a stress-induced mouth infection which gave me aches and fever. Fought that off and then went to the US where i managed to fit in one gentle jet-lagged run. Came back, more jet lag and now a stupid cough. it's in my chest but high up in my bronchi (not down in my lungs) and so far no gunge.

so my plan was to get back into training properly yesterday.. :(

race is 5miles but on sand and in the river (don't ask!) so more like a 10k in terms of effort... what do i do??? do i try a wee jog today to see if the cough is ok? or avoid it totally? i'm not sick sick, definitely wouldn't be off work, feel ok really except for the occassional coughing and being totally knackered...

aaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh - it's sooooo hard to decide on your own what is lazy vs what is sensible...
Jun 2011
2:26pm, 12 Jun 2011
578 posts
  •  
RichHL
Head out for a gentle run and see how you feel after 15 minutes. Knock it on the head of you're feeling too breathless to continue.
Jun 2011
2:27pm, 12 Jun 2011
165 posts
  •  
Tabasco
Oh, that's frustrating! I'd probably try something very short round the block with the option to bail out if feeling rubbish. Probably better to go a bit easy and recover rather than overdoing it and ending up worse.

Get well soon!
Jun 2011
3:32pm, 12 Jun 2011
1,086 posts
  •  
Lyns
Managed 3k in 20mins before got a pain in my chest and have decided to walk back. Will see what happens in the next few hours.
Jun 2011
5:25pm, 12 Jun 2011
516 posts
  •  
NellyMarcos
Get yourself to docs first thing in morning, I got a chest infection a week before sheffield half and caught symptoms really early, got antibiotics and still ran, didnt push it and felt great, good luck whatever happens
Jun 2011
9:07pm, 12 Jun 2011
585 posts
  •  
RichHL
I agree with Nelly.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
i've got a race on friday 1st july.

i haven't run much lately due to crazy stressed out time a...