Gosport Half Marathon 2014

6 watchers
Nov 2014
10:14am, 17 Nov 2014
4,743 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Well that was a race of two halves. The car parking seemed chaotic and confusing, the race number pick-up weird (my queue had tons of people whilst others had none and none of the helpers moved across to help ease the load, when wet and cold this was less than helpful), the baggage drop and loo queues didn't seemed labelled so loads of people in the wrong ones etc etc.

And yet when the race started the course was great, the marshalls were utterly brilliant to a man/woman, the drinks stations were perfectly placed and the whole thing went really well.

So, with the race being the main point of the whole thing, I guess I loved it :-)
Nov 2014
10:33am, 17 Nov 2014
1,003 posts
  •  
James74
Agree on lots of those points Herman.

Did nt like the switch back for second lap and the stones on prom! But Im being picky......
Nov 2014
10:44am, 17 Nov 2014
2,949 posts
  •  
clare1976
I agree with that too - I don't think the number pick up situation was helped by the downpour which meant people were using the 'gazebo' as a shelter so it was busier than usual.

I liked the new course (apart from the shingle section!) and I'd like to go back and do it justice another year. I wonder if they will use the new course again or go back to the airfield. Either way, the lack of wind defintely helped - yesterday's seafront miles would have been awful in a strong headwind and yet despite the 'weathjer' and the fact that I'd felt it windy when I was warming up in the rain beforehand, it seemed totally still for the race, I noticed a flag on a building along the seafront was just hanging down, not blowing at all!
Nov 2014
11:23am, 17 Nov 2014
4,744 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yes the wind seemed non existent. It was the first time for me, so can't compare the courses, but it seemed pretty much spot on for me. I was Ok with the loop, as it was one of the ones that you see the runners on the other side for a while, so I can use it as a distraction! I know many people dislike them though. I am just glad that rain stopped. Was not nice at all in the build-up!
Nov 2014
12:10pm, 17 Nov 2014
18 posts
  •  
Kenickie
I totally agree, Herman. I couldn't work out where the private field parking was, and all the pay and display stuff was full. I think they need to sort out some more space for such a big race.

But yeah, the race itself was great - the best support I've experienced. I particularly liked the family with the foam fingers. And I finally managed sub-2 hours so pretty pleased overall. This was my first time and I'll definitely be back next year!
Nov 2015
2:48pm, 9 Nov 2015
3,311 posts
  •  
clare1976
I know this is a 2014 thread, but just wondered if anybody else is entered for this year's race on Sunday? Weather forecast (wind) looks awful :(
Nov 2015
3:40pm, 9 Nov 2015
375 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hi Clare, I'll be marshalling on Sunday and running with the other helpers on Saturday. The wind for Sunday looks like 12-14kn, 15-20kn on Sat so hopefully you'll have the better day! Given the nature of the course you should get a mixture of 'head' and 'tail' winds - with the wind behind you for the final run along the front.

We're very excited about staging a Gosport Half for a 30th year.

Hope you have a great day!!
Nov 2015
4:17pm, 9 Nov 2015
3,313 posts
  •  
clare1976
Hi Steve and thanks :) I'm looking forward to it. The bbc currently says over 40 for wind speed :-o! But still plenty of time for it to change / settle.
Nov 2015
11:39pm, 9 Nov 2015
3 posts
  •  
Roy McLoughlin
Hi Clare, I've entered and the new route looks good. You will pass the samba band four times!
Nov 2015
9:27am, 10 Nov 2015
4,885 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Injury prevents me this year. Hopefully you won't get drenched in the warm-up!

About This Thread

Maintained by clare1976
So who else is in? They have now announced the revised course for this year as the airfield is close...