Gordon's School - Woking

3 watchers
Jan 2022
8:52am, 5 Jan 2022
1,978 posts
  •  
Stevce
I looked up your school and saw pictures of some girls wearing dress tartan - we use that and also the second Gordon tartan (a bit darker) blues and twes and glengarries for all - especially Sunday parades. It used to be very much a military based school, (before that it was a home or should I say borstal!!!) we still have cells at the school,, but they are currently used for laundry rather then punishment !And i think we started taking girls about the same time as your school.
Jan 2022
9:06am, 5 Jan 2022
40,725 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Girls was after my time - I left in 1987 (I'd say graduated, but I actually dropped out of my last year!), think they started the year or two after.

We had CCF (Combined Cadet Force) and things but I was never in that, but I think that was all just greens? Even the two local girls schools were green and grey uniforms, don't think they had tartan either.

First kilt I owned was when I was 21, my dad got it for me. Best present ever. It's the one I still wear. Got married in it. Not Gordon tartan though, Graham. Family thing.

" ‘Gordon Boys’ Home’ for necessitous boys" - were you "necessitous" Stevce? Be honest! Will I have to ask minardi?! :-) G
Jan 2022
9:23am, 5 Jan 2022
40,729 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Just found another Gordon School in Huntly, Aberdeenshire. Given that is within 50 miles of where I lived, surprised I'd never heard of it. Again, no relation to your Gordon, I don't think. It is the Duchess of Gordon (Gordon is a district in Aberdeenshire too!) - also a state school, part of Aberdeenshire council. Looks lovely location! :-) G
Jan 2022
11:50am, 5 Jan 2022
1,981 posts
  •  
Stevce
definitely necessitous ! lol
The 'home' was originally for orphans and strays and it help provide cannon fodder for many wars over time !
Nowadays it provides more for the officer corps then bullet catchers!
In my day it was still was producing grenade pitchers, but we were starting to make some brill cream boys. Nowadays it still maintains a ccf, but it is more academic in its outlook..
Your school looks posh in comparison to ours !

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Stevce
Are there any fetchies out there in Fetchie land, who used to go to Gordon's School (Previously...