Good marathons in Europe for a beginner?

2 watchers
Jul 2012
9:15pm, 26 Jul 2012
176 posts
  •  
DiscoSteve
Ok, I've finally decided I might possibly think of doing a marathon next year, possibly in the Spring. Would like to go somewhere abroad where we can make a long weekend of it and see the sights as well, can anyone recommend a good one for a beginner? Thinking possibly Vienna in April, always fancied going there, anyone does this one?

All advice (including along the lines of 'don't do it') gratefully received.
Jul 2012
9:22pm, 26 Jul 2012
515 posts
  •  
Nelly
Steve, maybe start by having a read here http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=45982

Oh, and don't up your training too much so that you start stealing back my conquer code zones :-p ;-)
Jul 2012
9:24pm, 26 Jul 2012
12,396 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Paris. Especially if you are going with someone. Nice and big, but fantastic views along the whole course, and not too far from home. If you have supporters, then they can catch you twice, or see you off at the start, catch you at the Louvre and still make the finish.
Jul 2012
9:36pm, 26 Jul 2012
362 posts
  •  
shyfire
Another vote for springtime in Paris.
Jul 2012
9:38pm, 26 Jul 2012
3,612 posts
  •  
WA (Windassisted)
Paris. It's a lovely city, and the marathon is flat and scenic. I've not done Vienna, so can't comment on that one.
Jul 2012
9:45pm, 26 Jul 2012
9,289 posts
  •  
Stander
Malta. February.
Jul 2012
9:47pm, 26 Jul 2012
27,569 posts
  •  
Foxy
I'm gonna go against the grain - I think Paris isn't the greatest on Organistion.

Barcelona is in my opinion the pick of the bigger Europena road marathons in Spring 18000 so about half the size of Paris, flatter than Paris without some of the botttle necks.
Jul 2012
9:51pm, 26 Jul 2012
5,511 posts
  •  
Binks
I've done Paris twice and hated it both times. Beautiful city, beautiful course, abysmal organisation. Not good for beginners or experienced runners alike.

Here is my unbiased view :)

runningandstuff.squarespace.com

Prague is good.
Jul 2012
9:58pm, 26 Jul 2012
5,481 posts
  •  
OllyW
I'm not a fan of Paris either. I can report excellent medical facilities at the finish and hot nurses from the Red Cross. Sadly, given that they shoved ice-packs down my shorts to deal with an 'overheating issue' they didn't see me at my best...

I can heartily recommend Frankfurt. Great size of field, perfect organisation and big disco finish :)
Jul 2012
10:07pm, 26 Jul 2012
5,512 posts
  •  
Binks
Is Rome in spring? I've heard that's good.

Be careful with French and Italian marathons though as they all need medical certificates.

About This Thread

Maintained by DiscoSteve
Ok, I've finally decided I might possibly think of doing a marathon next year, possibly in the Spri...