Golf Thread

14 watchers
Jul 2022
1:20pm, 21 Jul 2022
7,408 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Just a field with some holes, innit? ;-)
Jul 2022
1:55pm, 21 Jul 2022
11,371 posts
  •  
lammo
certainly looked that way
Jul 2022
1:56pm, 21 Jul 2022
137,338 posts
  •  
GregP
Great post PtB - and what Llamo said.
Jul 2022
2:21pm, 21 Jul 2022
31,922 posts
  •  
ElDuderino
Sounds great PtB.

Still haven't played golf again for a while been talking about playing so that gives me hope :)
Feb 2023
3:43am, 4 Feb 2023
11,802 posts
  •  
lammo
Morning all, can’t sleep so i thought I’d drop in.
My season hasn’t started yet and is usually kicked off by the masters weekend, although I’m hoping for an earlier start this year.
Sadly we’re going to be away on holiday over easter so I’m unlikely to see much coverage.
However, towards the end of last year I decided the lack of distance on my second shots needed sorting, so following some testing i treated myself to a Taylor Made Stealth 5 wood, its a thing of beauty and seems to do the job very well increasing both my distance and accuracy consistently.
So much so that post Christmas with the help os some vouchers and cash I’ve bought myself the 3 wood, couldn’t justify the additional stretch to the driver and figure i shouldn’t need it.
Finally, I’ve bought myself a garmin approach s60, to help me with my distances, haven’t used it properly yet, but I’m sure it will deliver and it's good enough to wear as an every day watch.
After all that i seem to be out of excuses for not winning my society summer tournament again this year, well apart from some actual practice.
BITFO as they say.
Feb 2023
1:11pm, 4 Feb 2023
143,175 posts
  •  
GregP
BITFO indeed. I’m just back from the range for the first time since, well, God alone knows. First time since the pandemic I think. And by coincidence this thread gets bumped by my co-member of the Team Orange GC. Nice.
Feb 2023
1:26pm, 7 Feb 2023
7,414 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Are we coming out of hibernation chaps/chapesses? Love it.

Lovely bit of investment in your future golf, lammo. I also have the S60, so shout up with any usability Q's if you have them. I love it for:
- yardages on course, find it pretty trustworthy
- club tracking (I have it set to prompt me after each shot to choose the club, then you get average distances build up nicely over time)
- easy and unobtrusive to wear - there are decent options for leather/steel straps to make it look less 'plasticky' too. I only wear mine for golf, as I would definitely break it at work.
I think it could do better at:
- picking up satellites faster (ha! a familiar runner complaint)
- the app/PC interface afterwards is all based on course schematics, rather than satellite images. A little bit cartoony, tree lines often aren't right. Other manufacturers and apps do that better, I think.

I've been trying to drive-range 2x per week, which I have managed through Jan/Feb (Nov & Dec unfortunately not). The one near work has installed some wizardy radar technology and fitted every bay with a touchscreen; so you can now get real distance, accuracy, apex, ball speed, left/right curve feedback on all shots, and play virutal courses if you want. InRange, it is (https://www.inrangegolf.com/?lng=en). Very good.
Feb 2023
1:27pm, 7 Feb 2023
7,415 posts
  •  
paul the builder
inrangegolf.com

maybe that link works instead.
Feb 2023
3:38pm, 7 Feb 2023
11,808 posts
  •  
lammo
Thanks PtB will do.

My closest range doesn't have any technology, but the next one does, i think its worth the extra mileage
Feb 2023
8:45pm, 7 Feb 2023
36,369 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I played in a foursomes competition on Sunday. We were 10th out of 37 pairs with 33 points. The winning score was 37 points, so we were quite pleased! 🙂

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Couldn't see a thread on golf anywhere...so thought I'd start one!

Anybody excited about the Ma...