Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Golf Thread

6 watchers
9 Sep
10:33am, 9 Sep 2020
6887 posts
paul the builder
It is indeed Lammo. What does the green fees part of the budget stretch to? And is bustling city bars/nightclubs important, or is cottages/B&Bs out in the country more likely?
9 Sep
10:45am, 9 Sep 2020
10171 posts
lammo
Great questions Paul, you've hit the quandary on the head :-)

Probably an Airbnb with some good bars and restaurants (most of us are past the nightclub phase), assuming we are allowed to, usual dates are early June, fingers crossed

Hmm, i'm not sure what the green fees budget is normally, more travel probably means less budget for green fees as I think the total budget is pretty fixed. maybe 50 per round on average...
9 Sep
11:30am, 9 Sep 2020
6888 posts
paul the builder
We have a group with similar quandaries, although doubled with poor organisational efforts we generally end up not doing anything at all :-)

If you want links golf, then that budget would get you on to the second courses at each of Portrush, Portstewart, and Castlerock, which are all pretty close together on the North coast. (respectively 60, 25 and 30 quid, IIRC). The 'name' course at each is something like 240, 200, and 125 for walk-up visitors. But the second courses are good golf and have definite linksy feel. Accommodation then either in Portrush, Portstewart, or Coleraine. Fly to Belfast and 1.0-1.5hr drive depending on which airport (ridiculously Belfast has 2).

Alternative is Donegal - our group had an excellent trip to Downings, playing the 2 links courses at Rosapenna. Green fees there discounted according to where you stay - we got them for 50 euro/round. Downings is no more than a little village, but there are places to drink and eat; it worked well for our group. Longer drive (2.5hrs) from Belfast. Derry airport about half that, but not that many flights to/from there.

Or Belfast based, then there's plenty of parkland courses at that price range to go for.
9 Sep
1:21pm, 9 Sep 2020
10172 posts
lammo
Thanks, very useful, i'll do some research, then probably be back on to you in January, when I've not done anything and need to get my finger out :-)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Couldn't see a thread on golf anywhere...so thought I'd start one!

Anybody excited about the Ma...