Golden Fleece Circuit 2013

2 watchers
Dec 2012
9:12pm, 28 Dec 2012
1,777 posts
  •  
samson
Evening all.
Anyone got a route map for this event from this year, planning on running it in March.

goldenfleececircuit.org.uk
Jan 2013
10:38pm, 19 Jan 2013
2,194 posts
  •  
Lisrun
Hi

I have been trying to track the route for the 27.5m version of event. It is tricky as there is a list of checkpoints and often the quickest way between them is by road. However the 'Event code' says

Stick strictly to public footpaths unless clearly directed on approved alternatives

this implies that it might be signed. What I have come up with so far is

gb.mapometer.com

which is about 1.8m short of what they have advertised.

I suspect where I might have gone wrong is after C/P 2 Hotham as I have gone by road to C/P 3 North Newbald. I guess I should have mapped roughly north from Hotham to Cliffe Dales, then Gardam Moor, then east to the Cottage and continuing east to C/P 3

I am using the OS view on Streetmap to spot the footpaths.

Any thoughts on this or any other errors I might have made ?
Jan 2013
4:11pm, 20 Jan 2013
2,195 posts
  •  
Lisrun
Assuming we go mainly offroad from C/P 2 that adds another mile to the total.....
Jan 2013
6:15pm, 20 Jan 2013
1,793 posts
  •  
samson
It looks fine to me, I emailed the organisers a few weeks back for a route map and they said that the route was still being finalised. I've got the Belvoir Challenge the week before as well!
Jan 2013
10:42pm, 20 Jan 2013
2,196 posts
  •  
Lisrun
Thanks for that information, I will leave it for a while and see what the organisers come up with

I'm doing Belvoir too :-) and I am waiting for them to put their map on their website - the route does seem to change a bit every year
Feb 2013
2:07pm, 27 Feb 2013
2,208 posts
  •  
Lisrun
I haven't seen anything on the website yet. I have made an alteration to the route I linked to above so that more is on footpaths and it seems to be roughly the right length

gb.mapometer.com
Mar 2013
7:34am, 1 Mar 2013
2,209 posts
  •  
Lisrun
Route map and route description arrived by email last night ! If anyone hasn't got them and wants them, fmail me your email address

There are some minor differences to the route I linked to in the previous post

Looks like it will be sunny after a cold start :-)
Mar 2013
5:17pm, 2 Mar 2013
2,211 posts
  •  
Lisrun
That was fun :-) The hills just before the end were 'interesting'

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by samson
Evening all.
Anyone got a route map for this event from this year, planning on running it in March....